Tabla for Beginners - Part 2
What you'll learn
- How to play Taal Teentaal and use it with songs
- How to play Taal Rupak and use it in a song
- Basic words like Traka & Tunna
- How to use gaps effectively
- Simple variations in Taals learnt so far
- You should have completed the Tabla for Beginners - Part 1 course or should know some basic syllables
- Should have a Tabla drum set
Hello and Welcome to this course where I take you through the basics of tabla - the Classical percussion instrument from India.
This course is useful for beginners or for refreshing the basics if you have played tabla before. The simple step by step instructions will ensure that anyone from age 9 to 90 will be able to play this instrument with ease.
We will learn two of the most widely used taals, Taal Rupak and Taal Teental. We will understand how they are played and how they are used to accompany different songs. I will introduce you to a couple of core words in tabla - the Traka and Tunna/ Tinna along with the popular phrases that are used to practice.
In this course, you will also be able to understand the process of creating variations for taals you have learnt in the past two courses. I will also introduce you to the concept of giving gaps in words and its importance in creating musical beats.
I have over 50 active students from various countries including India, US, UK, Australia, Canada, France and others. Through this online teaching experience, I have created a set of tips and tricks along with a step by step flow that helps learning tabla without having to be physically present with the teacher. In a special sections I will talk about how to make the most of your practice sessions as well as remain motivated in the journey of Tabla.
At the end of this course, you will get the confidence to move to exploring the next and more complex stages of playing tabla.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners starting out to learn the tabla
- Beginners who would like to understand how to accompany songs
- Beginners in Indian classical music
- Percussion enthusiasts who would like to understand the Indian classical percussion instrument
- People who would like to use music to reduce stress by grooving to self created beats
- Music enthusiasts who would like to develop their understanding of beats and tempo
I am a Tabla Visharad (Graduate) from the Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya. I have been playing the tabla since the past 30 years and teaching online since the past 10 years using Skype sessions. I have over 50 active students from various countries including India, US, UK, Australia, Canada, France and others. Through this online teaching experience, I have created a set of tips and tricks along with a step by step flow that helps learning tabla without having to be physically present with the teacher.