Fundamentals of Switched Reluctance Motor & Drive
What you'll learn
- Understand how switched reluctance motor works
- How to select optimum turn-on and turn-off angle for particular application
- How to select best motor geometry and numbers of phase for particular application
- Understand how power electronics converter of SRM works
- Derive equivalent circuit, & torque speed characteristics
- Understand how to control speed of SRM by various techniques
- Understand what is magnetic characteristics and inductance profile
- Understand complexity of selecting optimum angles control due to magnetic non-linearity
- Learn different position sensing arrangement
- Understand torque ripple and acoustic noise
Switched Reluctance Motor is one of the oldest electric motor that is competing since 180 years. Availability of sophisticated and economical power electronics technology gave rebirth to the most efficient and robust motor -SRM. Due to higher efficiency, magnet-less operation and simple mechanical structure, SRM becomes most preferable electric motor for latest electric vehicle applications. Recently advanced version of SR technology have been used to power Tesla Model 3 electric car and claimed significant increased in range (efficiency) compared to induction motor used in Model S.
SRM offers numbers of benefit like higher efficiency, less weight, mow cost, reduced manufacturing process time, wide constant power region, fault tolerant operation and superior performance even at comparative higher temperature.
This course explains each and every fundamental detail about switched reluctance motor and drive. Starting from fundamental operation of SRM, it covers extreme detail about each parameters and terms related to Motor, converter as well as controller. It includes SRM geometries, magnetic characteristics, inductance profile, angular parameters, torque equation, torque speed characteristics, converter topologies, speed control, closed-loop control, braking, regeneration, torque ripple, acoustic noise etc.
Animation and visualization developed for this course will help in learning with easy.
I am Dr. Jignesh Makwana. I am working of SRM since 2005 and my first research paper on SRM converter was published in 2008. Then after I have published numbers of research articles on SRM in various journals, conferences and books. Other than theory and publications, I have worked intensively on SRM hardware as well as simulations. I have also provided consultancy service to the industry for designing and manufacturing SRM, converter and controller.
This fundamental course is compilation of all the important aspects of switched reluctance motor drive in very well organized manner and easy to understand with visual animations. It will give you the initial boost by clearing your all doubt about switched reluctance motor and drive. Even if you know few basic things about SRM ,I assured that you will learn so many more important things.
Who this course is for:
- This course is suitable to those who want to start their research career in the area of switched reluctance motor drive.
- And for those who want to understand every detail about switched reluctance motor drive.
- This course is recommended to UG and PG students of Electrical Engineering and power electronics engineering.
- This course is also recommended to those who are interested or working with electric vehicle system.
Dr. Jignesh Makwana started his academic career in 2004. He received a Phd degree in Electrical Engineering with the specialization in power electronics & drive from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee in 2013. His interest and enthusiasm for teaching & learning, research & development and innovations in all fields lead him as a good contributor in the academic & industrial field. He has vast academic experience with various reputed universities & institutes. Dr. Jignesh Makwana has international exposure of visiting several countries and representing expertise in the field of power electronics converters, artificial intelligence, renewable energy, etc. He published a number of research papers in international and national conferences and reputed journals. He guided a number of UG and PG students for their dissertation and project works. He is former head of the department of Electrical Engineering Department at Marwadi University, Rajkot, Gujarat. He is founder & director of RhyMak Electronics which involves in design and development of electrical vehicles & accessories and electronic products. He provided consultancy service to several industries for the design of power electronics and special motors. He is also founder and active online instructor at Rhyni - Tech Skills & Fundamentals, hub of online self paced courses, with 3500+ students from 120+ countries.