Stylized Watercolor Animal Portraits
What you'll learn
- You will learn how to create watercolor mixed media animal portraits
- You will learn about the materials we will be using: mixed media paper, ink, colored pencils, watercolors and more
- You will practice mark making
- You will pick up tips along the way, such as where to find images and how to bring your animals "to life"
- No pre-requisites needed, just a love of learning new techniques and being open to new ideas!
I love animals! And I love making art featuring animals. Since becoming a professional artist I've made hundreds of animals in a variety of media. I never get tired of the subject and in fact, my stylized watercolor mixed media animals are my favorites!
In this course, we'll go through three animal portraits from start to finish: a rabbit, a toad and a long haired cat. We'll draw, use watercolors, ink markers and colored pencils. I have also provided narrated time lapse movies of three more animals: a lion, a giraffe and a hamster. Not only that, but there are three practice lessons for you as well.
There is also a video full of other animals as well. I'd encourage you to pause frequently during this video so you can really study the painting and hatchmarks in each. You'll see that there is no right or wrong. The same techniques that are used on the long hair cat can be used on the short fur of a horse.
I provide a video with ideas that are alternatives to free hand drawing if that makes you nervous. There are also lessons about flattening your art, framing, and materials we'll be using.
So if you want a fresh take on animal portraits, let's get started! :)
Who this course is for:
- This course is for people who love animals and who want to draw and paint them in a fresh way.
Bebe Keith is an artist in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. She began her professional art career as a glass mosaic artist, but these days she’s deep into collage mixed media, watercolor mixed media and acrylics. She is very grateful to be able to create for a living!
She has also kept busy as a public artist, designing and creating works for hospitals, universities, libraries, an event center, the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport and more. She also licenses her work.
Bebe has published three books for children illustrated in stained glass mosaics. You can find them on her artist website.
Thank you so much for stopping by!