Strategic Networking - for the confident networker
- 40 mins on-demand video
- 8 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- How to harness the power of your contact list.
- Some previous experience and confidence on the networking circuit with a considerable list of contacts.
Word of mouth marketing and referrals are considered to be the most cost effective approach to building a business. If you have added more pounds to your waistline than you have to your bottom line, you may be wondering why networking is not working for you? It may be that you have not yet honed the right approach for you and your business.
- Business Entrepreneurs and Students.
Hi I’m Laura McHarrie at the hidden edge, I am a goal keeper, I help business people identify what they want to achieve and keep them on track. This Udemy Course is about Strategic Networking
Word of Mouth marketing and referrals are considered to be the most cost effective approach to building a business. If you have added more pounds to your waistline than you have to your bottom line, you may be wondering why networking is not working for you? It may be that you have not yet honed the right approach for you and your business.
In this Udemy course we will:
Identify the key players in our network
Consider how to ask them for a referral
Harness the power of LinkedIn
Decide how best to get your foot in the door with portal projects
Hone a message for perfect pitching
Measuring the return on your time that you invest in networking
Each lecture is short enough to grasp over a cup of tea, completing the template are likely to take you a tad longer.
Like all learning, the more you apply, practice and reflect on the content the more powerful the results.
Anyways let’s get started shall we?
Every business is different in the route it takes to get in the hand of its customers. Most businesses consider that word of mouth is the most effective method of marketing. This model considers six potential routes to market and then a plan to meet the connectors online and off through strategic networking.
First watch the Networking Strategies video then Have a Go where you can download the templates and other resources ...
By the end of this section you will be able to:
Plot the gaps in your networking map
Recognise what networking strategy would work best for you
Identify the events where you might meet those that can help you build your business
1. Download the strategic networking templates
2. Use the first template to plot your specific networking needs. That is who do you need to meet that could help you grow your business - I love using small post it notes to plot out the plan.
3. Use the second template to consider what you need to do for each of the different types of connectors.
4. Use the third template to identify where you might meet those people you need to meet.
Top Tip! It is worth exploring these ideas with others from your company, your business advisor or someone close to you.
The easiest way to win new clients is through referrals from existing clients, prospects, colleagues and even competitors. Yet asking for referrals is more often than not neglected. It takes time to build a relationship with your contacts where they trust you enough to refer you and you need a plan. It's best not to try to short cut the process by rushing a new contact, as it is likely to result in making you both feel uncomfortable.
First watch the Referral Requests video then 'Have a Go' where you can download the templates and other resources ...
1. Download the Referral Requests templates.
2. Refer to your list of strategic networkers.
2. Use the first template to identify how open they are to refer you to your ideal client.
3. Use the second template for idea generation, I highly recommend you talk it through with your trusted advisor and team members (if you have them).
4. Use the third template to create a referral plan that will work for you.
Top Tip! Check out the Referral Candy Blog Post for 79 Referral Rewards for more ideas that will work for you.
Having identified the people you’d like to be connected with through your Business Networking Strategy, LinkedIn could well be the perfect tool to help you get passed the 6 degrees of separation. In this video we explore what makes an engaging profile and how you might focus your activity to give you the best return on the time you invest in online networking.
First watch the Getting LinkedIn video then Have a Go where you can download the templates and other resources ...
1. Download the Getting LinkedIn templates
2. Use the first template as a checklist to tick off how complete and relevant your personal profile is.
3. Use the second template to plan how to best keep in touch with your connections.
4. Use the third template to search for an ideal prospect for you.
5. Now you have to ask them to connect ... consider why would they want to do that before you send the request! ;-)
Top Tip! Check out my Podcast interview with Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Big ticket sales or clients with a high lifetime value will often have a long lead time before purchase. More so if you are a new player in the market place, as you won’t have built a trusted reputation. Ford Harding in his book Cross Selling for Success introduces the portal project, a small low-cost and stand alone service that gets you in the door to sort out a specific issue. Once you are inside you look out for other opportunities.
First watch the Portal Project video then 'Have a Go' where you can download the templates and other resources ...
1. Download the Portal Project templates.
2. Read the Portal Project case study for more insights.
3. Use the first template to plot where you have products or services that could act as a portal project.
4. Use the second template to calculate the average life-time value of your target customer.
5. Assess whether the cost of your proposed Portal Project is a good return on marketing investment.
Top Tip! Do get hold of Ford Harding's book, Cross-Selling Success. This is the book I have recommended the most to my networking contacts.
The traditional introduction to a presentation is to explain who you are, what you do and then why your audience should listen to you. As a result you rapidly lose interest, simply because it is not tapping into what is in it for them, the audience. On the other-hand, if you tap into their wants immediately you can keep their interest throughout the presentation. Qualifying your credibility can take place throughout the talk or speech itself.
First watch the JOLT Pitching video then 'Have a Go' where you can download the templates and other resources ...
1. Download the JOLT Pitching templates.
2. Use the third template as an idea generator to identify a series of JOLTS that will be relevant to your audience and suitable for your business offer. Highly recommend you discuss with your trusted advisor and team members if you have them.
3. Use the second template to craft a talk with a powerful opening, three JOLTS and a close that has a powerful call to action.
4. Read through the additional resource on Perfect Public Speaking.
Top Tip! Do check out your local Toastmaster's club. It's a great place to practice your public speaking and get great feedback in a safe place.
Sadly networking is never free, there is always the opportunity cost of being elsewhere or even getting some ‘real’ work done. A bit of planning doesn’t go a miss. In the next video we explore Cecile Demailly’s model of 'social' networking and then view the networking scorecard. To build an effective networking programme, we first need to plot the landscape.
First watch the Networking Scorecard video then 'Have a Go' where you can download the templates and other resources ...
1. Download the Networking Scorecard templates
2. Use the first template to plot the networking opportunities that are relevant to your business from an external and internal perspective.
3. Use the second template to adopt the networking scorecard to plan what you’d like to get from going to a networking event, what you actually achieved and how you intend to follow through to build an ongoing relationship
4. Review periodically, to ensure you are getting a good return on the time and resources you are spending.
Top Tip! Check out Dr Ivan Risner's Scorecard App. It's an easy way to keep on top of your networking activities.