Strategic HR in Modern Times
What you'll learn
- The course starts by explaining the strategic approach to enterprise management. This explores how companies carry-out their operations from a strategic perspective.
- Next, the course highlights strategic people management and exposes learners to HR strategy especially as required by the conditions we are experiencing in the new world of work.
- Lastly, the course focuses on the elements of value creation in each strategic sub-domain of the People Management function. This explains what HR professionals need to focus on in other to create value within their companies.
- Basic understanding of Human Resource Management
Over the past decade, there has been increasing demand for value creation from business leaders across the enterprise. Interestingly, HR practitioners are being asked now to create business value more than ever before. Up till recently, HR was perceived by the rest of the business as one of the cost centres that provided little value to business growth.
Why is this? Many HR professionals have focused on tactical HR activities. Though required for administrative purposes, tactical HR activities, by themselves, hardly add significant value to the business. This is because these kinds of activities lack the strategic outlook. Having a strategic outlook means HR professionals are able to understand business objectives, can define business needs and are able to design and apply business solutions from an HR perspective.
This course teaches students to develop an holistic view on how HR provides business value through a strategic way of thinking. You will be introduced to an HR Strategy Model and a Value Delivery Framework that explains what to pay attention to when implementing value-add HR solutions.
Who this course is for:
- HR Newbies who need to understand the holistic scope of the HR function from a strategic perspective.
- Experienced HR Practitioners who need a more holistic view of other areas of Strategic HR they were not previously exposed to.
- HR Practitioners preparing for certification exams and need to have a quick overview of modern-day HR.
When I meet people, I refer to myself as an HR Business Analyst, considering my recent roles that had a lot to do with providing business value to multinational large corporations.
Over the past fifteen years, I have worked in cross-cutting strategic human resources positions across Africa, Asia and North America. I have contributed to technology transformation projects with high growth corporations like Suncor Energy – Canada’s largest integrated energy company, Total E&P – world's fourth-largest energy major, and inter-governmental organizations like the Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Here's my winning formula – Life-long Learning! Over the course of my career, I keep identifying career niches within the people management function and kept acquiring required knowledge. I am a Certified Scrum Product Owner and have delivered Agile HR projects. I have also been rewarded with the Lean Yellow Belt and Lean Green Belt having delivered impactful process improvement projects.
I hold a Master’s degree in Management Learning and Leadership from the University of Lancaster, United Kingdom and I am also a Chartered Member of the CIPD, UK.