Story Structure: NEW CONTENT AVAILABLE
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 12 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Use this course to stimulate your creative writing and problem solving skills.
- By the end of this course you'll understand, and will be able to apply the 5 fundamental elements of strong story structure, applicable to all types of literature.
- Your preferred writing materials, a comfortable space where you can think and write, and your imagination!
- Although not essential, it does help if you have a story idea in mind.
Picture this: You’re at a networking event, a writing class, or sat in a coffee shop with friends. You find the courage to tell the group, ‘I’ve got a really good idea for a story!’ Perhaps it’s a web series, an autobiography, a blog, a script, or an essay. Then some know-it-all interjects with a million questions— ‘what happens…who’s the protagonist…what’s the point of their journey…who is the target audience…can I read your first draft?’ And your response is ‘errrr,’ because you either don’t know how to answer any of these questions or because you’re 'working on it’…two years later, you’re 'still working on it!’
This nano course documents the creative coaching consultation I had with Jonell Rowe — a professional writer, award-winning film director, and founder of Lionstooth Productions. Like Jonell, this nano course will get you thinking about the plausibility of your story idea through story structure so that you can develop a seamless narrative that resonates with your audience.
Whether you’re going for a milieu-based, idea-centric, character-led, or event-driven story; Whether you’re developing something traditional or absurdly abstract; whether you’re writing a stage play, screenplay, manuscript, some audio or web content—an awareness of story structure is a must.
Let’s nip the uncertainty, procrastination, writers' block, and writers' angst in the bud so you can write the story your legacy deserves!
Together, we'll explore five fundamental elements of storytelling:
Using the resources in the fillable workbook provided, coupled with support from the lectures, you will:
Establish the character profiles and character dynamics in your story,
develop a story structure overview, create a three-act, four-act or five-act framework for your narrative,
write a themes and sub-themes summary
and articulate your writing style and artistic intentions.
Then with further support from wider reading materials, inspirational videos and other content, you'll have a boss blueprint for any narrative, which will enable you to stay on track with your artistic vision.
- This nano course is meant for writers at all levels who are looking for support in developing a character or characters for a story, struggling with writers' block or building a portfolio of work for an arts and culture-based course. No prior experience in writing is needed, but your passion for creativity might come in handy!
- This nano course has been especially successful with poets, monologue and flash fiction writers, but of course, anyone with an interest in literature and literacy development is welcome to join.
A note about the workbook: The file is pretty big, so I've divided the workbook into sections. You can either download all the sections here (as recommended), or you can download the respective sections as you work your way through the nano course. Either way, have fun! :)