Step-by-step Spreadsheets for Absolute Beginners
What you'll learn
- In this course, we'll use a real-world example to practice spreadsheet navigation, data entry tips and tricks, calculations, formulas, and more
- We'll focus on WHY and HOW things work in spreadsheets –– so you can develop an intuitive understanding of how to use ANY spreadsheet software
- By the end of this course, you'll be able to use spreadsheet software with confidence!
- A computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux)
- Rudimentary computer skills (using a mouse, opening and saving files)
- Any spreadsheet software, such as Microsoft Excel, LibreOffice, or OpenOffice
- Basic grade-school level math comprehension
- A desire to learn!
Are you mystified by Microsoft Excel? Feeling intimidated by spreadsheets? Want to save time and effort by learning how to use spreadsheets the RIGHT way?
- Spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel have replaced paper-based systems throughout the business world. Initially developed for accounting and bookkeeping tasks, they're also used extensively to organize and store tabular lists.
In this fun and friendly course suitable for absolute beginners, we'll use a practical, real-world example to learn all about spreadsheet navigation, data entry tips and tricks, calculations, formulas, and more!
HOW IS THIS COURSE DIFFERENT?
My name is Kathleen, and I've been teaching technology to beginners under the moniker Robobunnyattack! since 2009. I believe that with the right approach, anyone can learn anything.
- My goal in this course is to help you develop an intuitive understanding of how to use ANY spreadsheet software.
In this course, we'll build and edit a practical, real-world example. As we work together, I'll explain WHY and HOW things work in spreadsheets, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence.
As we build our spreadsheet, we'll cover:
- How spreadsheets work, and why they're so useful
- Data entry tips and tricks to save time and effort
- Thinking ahead so you can build useful and flexible templates
- Putting your spreadsheet to work with simple formulas and functions
- Using spreadsheets to find solutions to real-world problems
- How to choose the RIGHT file format for your spreadsheet
- BONUS: FREE alternatives to Microsoft Excel!
I'll demonstrate each step using LibreOffice, a FREE and easy-to-use office productivity suite. You can apply these skills in your preferred spreadsheet software program, such as Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, or Google Spreadsheets.
By the end of this course, you'll be able to use Microsoft Excel or any other spreadsheet software application with confidence!
Here's just a sample of what my (awesome!) students have to say about this course:
"Really great introductory course. It helped me to really sort out the formulas and lecture 17 on the file endings was a big eye opener as well." —Joan B.
"I came into this course having no clue how to operate a spreadsheet, after working through Kathleen's lessons I now have a solid understanding on how to setup and operate spreadsheets." —Tim C.
"Much quicker than using a book." —James H.
- This course includes lifetime access to over 2 hours of step-by-step videos.
- You'll also get supplementary text lectures, free downloads, and links to helpful resources.
- Short quizzes at the end of each section will help you gauge your own understanding and check your progress along the way.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ME?
- This completely depends on your availability and learning preference. You can work through all the video lectures in one afternoon, or pace yourself over several days or weeks — it's up to you!
- This course comes with an unconditional 30-day Udemy-backed guarantee. Try out this course for 30 days and see for yourself if my approach to learning how to use spreadsheets is right for you. If you're not 100% satisfied with this course, simply request a full refund within 30 days — no conditions, no questions asked!
I'm confident you'll LOVE this course, and I'm excited to help you learn. Enrol now and you can start using spreadsheets with confidence today!
—Kathleen Farley (aka Robobunnyattack!)
Who this course is for:
- Beginner-level users with little or no experience using Microsoft Excel (or any spreadsheet software)
- Students seeking to strengthen their data management skills
- Learners of all ages who want to REALLY understand how to use spreadsheets –– not just memorize a series of steps!
Kathleen Farley is a computer geek, teacher, learner, vinyl junkie, hockey fan, and recovering non-profit executive. Occasionally she breaks (and fixes) computers. Not necessarily in that order.
The Montreal-born technologist trained as an audio engineer before moving to Hamilton, Canada in 2007. She now runs Maisonneuve Music, a Hamilton-based independent record label.
Kathleen teaches technology and management skills at a music industry school in Toronto, Canada. She's also the co-founder of Audiohackr, a startup that helps indie musicians, producers, and DIY labels make the most of technology.
Kathleen produces technology training videos under the moniker Robobunnyattack!