MBA ASAP Guide to Startups and Entrepreneurship
What you'll learn
- There is a lot of money in the world looking for someone who has a solution to a problem. Decide to solve a problem and become qualified to have a lot of money!
- Master multiple disciplines and tools to build a product or business from the ground up.
- Learn to use strategic and idea generation tools that can help you get a handle on marketing strategy and focus on the big picture.
- Hone new skills online with expert faculty.
- You will learn how to deconstruct any business idea into its main parts using the Business Model Canvas.
- Products don't create value, customers do. Learn how to perform customer discovery and qualitative research.
- We will then learn how to take the Business Model assumptions and turn them into facts through the Lean Startup Method of customer discovery and validation.
- You will gain an understanding of enterprise formation and LLCs and Corporations.
- We will explore the concept of Minimal Viable Product and iterative techniques for converging on Product/Market Fit, the holy grail of the startup process.
- You will learn how to research, draft and file your own patents in order to protect your ideas and create valuable assets for your startup enterprise.
- You will gain a solid understanding of Startup Financing Stages and Funding Rounds.
- We will examine and explain the roles of Angel investors and Venture Capital.
- You will gain facility with the intricacies of the Cap Table and Valuation techniques.
- Learn how you get, keep and grow customers.
- Learn how to sell and deliver.
- Marketing is really about being outwardly focused and customer centric. Learn how.
- There are no prerequisites for this course. This course is designed to help you think about the latest and greatest entrepreneurial thinking and the practices of creating startup enterprises in a methodical manner that reduces risk and increases the chances of success. If you have ever wanted to be your own boss and create a company and career around your ideas and dreams, then this course is for you! If you ever wondered about how they do it in Silicon Valley, this course if for you. If you want to make an impact in the world, solve pressing problems, create a lasting legacy, be rich and famous, then this course is definitely for you! These methods are relatively new and have evolved over the past couple of decades as startup culture has developed and taken root as the new way to success, riches and careers. To begin, I recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site and get a feel for the material we’ll cover in each section
- Learn the main concepts and tools of Entrepreneurship by an Award Winning MBA Professor, business consultant and MBA Graduate of the Ivy League Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, who is an experienced and seasoned entrepreneur. John Cousins has founded more than a dozen companies and taken two of these public in IPOs. These companies have been in numerous sectors including Life Sciences, Food Supply, Energy, Transportation, and Technology.
"This course is unique compared to the entrepreneurial courses l have done before. It is a step by step course, which is clearly explained, very easy to understand, very brief and very factual. Take this course and improve your entrepreneurial skills."
"Another winner from John Cousins! Doing business in this day and age can be daunting, especially for those of us who are from "a different era". This author knows his stuff and shares it in such a way that informs, encourages and inspires." Liz K.
“Business is always evolving especially with advances in technology. Business and technology topics can be new and novel or difficult to understand. John has the ability to frame and present business topics in a way where the audience feels like they can quickly grasp concepts, define strategy, and begin to execute.”
"Simplicity is the end result of long, hard work; not the starting point." — Fredrick Maitland
Every successful business
(1) creates or provides something of value that
(2) other people want or need
(3) at a price they’re willing to pay, in a way that
(4) satisfies the purchaser’s needs and expectations and
(5) provides the business sufficient revenue to make it worthwhile for the owners to continue operation.
Why take this Course?
Learn to use strategic and idea generation tools that can help you get a handle on entrepreneurship and startup strategy and tactics.
Since you are here reading this, chances are you want to make something meaningful happen like start a business, be more successful and fulfilled, or make your mark on the universe.
It is also likely that a few things are holding you back from achieving your dreams:
Business Fear. The feeling that you don’t know much about business and could never start your own company or take more responsibility for your current situation. Better to maintain the status quo and stay within your comfort zone than to face the fear of the unknown.
Certificate Intimidation. The idea that business is super complicated is an area best left to highly trained elite experts. If you don't have an Ivy League MBA or similar expensive and time-consuming credentials, who are you to think you know what to do.
Imposter Syndrome. The gnawing fears that you're inadequate and already in over your head. It's only a matter of time before you're exposed to be a total "fraud" and "phony."
We don't rise to our expectations; we fall to the level of our knowledge.
Here is the good news, everyone has these unfounded fears, and you can quickly put an end to them. All you need to do is learn a few simple concepts that will change how you think about the way business works.
Once you have conquered your fears, you can do anything!
No matter who you are or what you are trying to accomplish, you're about to discover a practical new way of looking at business startups and entrepreneurship that will help you spend less time worrying about your fears and more time doing things that make a difference.
Let's get started!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning a skillset that will make you more valuable at your job, help you start something on the side, or let you quit your job and start your own business. We can no longer rely on companies to employ us for our entire career. We need to develop new skill sets to navigate the disruption that is coming from Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Automation, and Machine Learning. Entrepreneurial thinking is a matter of survival as well as a path to success. We ignore it at our peril.
- If you are thinking about an MBA or are enrolled in a program and are preparing to take entrepreneurial or strategy courses, this course will prepare you for excelling in your program.
- If you have ever wanted to be your own boss and create a company and career around your ideas and dreams, then this course is for you! If you ever wondered about how they do it in Silicon Valley, this course if for you. If you want to make an impact in the world, solve pressing problems, create a lasting legacy, be rich and famous, then this course is definitely for you!
- If you have a technical background as an engineer or computer programmer and are thinking about starting a company in order to commercialize your product and service ideas, this course will give you the skills you need to understand how to approach developing products, customer discovery, startup funding, and much more.
I am the author of Patent It Yourself!, Negotiation Communication Nation, Learn Accounting Fast!, Managing and Leading Organizations and People, Reading and Understanding Financial Statements, MBA ASAP, and nine other books. I am the founder of MBA ASAP which can be found at MBA-ASAP dot com an "online business education community" chock full of business skills and knowledge on the web.
Previously, I was CEO of a biotech company developing innovative cancer diagnostics. I took two companies public and I was the CFO of several public companies for 15 years. For the past decade I have also been teaching business classes at a number of universities and colleges.
Writing these books and creating these courses has been a wonderful opportunity to gather and organize my thoughts and experiences and share them. I have an electronics degree from MIT, a BA from Boston University and an MBA from Wharton.