Startup Essentials: Become an Entrepreneur!
What you'll learn
- How to validate your idea
- How to figure out your target market
- How to use data to drive your decisions
- How to choose your cofounders & team
- What to look for in mentors or advisors
- The legal documentation you will need
- How to build a Minimum Viable Product
- How to have a successful Beta Launch
- How and why you should use Analytics
- How to craft a story to pitch investors
- How to monetize your platform
- How to choose and seek out investors
- How to scale your company
- How to drive user engagement
- The proper way to engage the press & media
- How and when to pivot your company
- How to approach various funding sources
- How to become an expert in anything
- Ways to improve your life and reach your goals
- Basic knowledge on how to use social media and google drive
- The desire to start a company!
If you are new to entrepreneurship and are ready to bootstrap your first startup, or have already created a business and want to learn how to get to the next level without spending a lot of time and money, then this is the course for you!
As you go through each chapter and validate your idea, I'll help you figure out your target market and then use data to drive your decisions. This way you won't make the mistake of doing what YOU think is right. You want the market to tell you what is right.
After putting together a team of brilliant entrepreneurs, mentors and advisors, I'll explain the legal documentation you'll need to protect your company. Then I'll show you how to build a Minimum Viable Product. Once it's built, I will teach you how to have a successful Beta Launch and properly use Analytics to study the outcome.
Storytelling is one of the most important things to learn when pitching investors, so I will show you how to craft a story. You will learn how to overcome your fears in public speaking!
Investors typically fund companies that show signs of revenue, so I will not only teach you how to monetize your platform, but also how to choose and seek out investors. They want to see that their funding will help you scale your company, and that you know how to drive user engagement. So I will teach you these important pieces as well as how to engage the press & media to get your name out there.
Lastly, I'll give you some insights on how and when to pivot your company, how to approach various funding sources , and of course how to become an expert in anything!
Originally taught and created by Jason Sherman for the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton school of business, this course is now open to the public by Jason.
This course is based on Jason's entrepreneurship guidebook "Strap on your Boots". It's available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other bookstores around the world. So I encourage you to pick up a copy to use during the course.
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to my podcast of the same name Strap on your Boots on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, and most other podcast platforms.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to become an entrepreneur and build a startup
- Anyone who has built a product and wants to learn more
- First time entrepreneurs
Jason Sherman is a successful Creative, award winning filmmaker, published author, tech startup expert, and journalist. He has been featured by several media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Verge, and ABC News. Jason is fluent in Spanish, is a classically trained violinist, and was a featured speaker on FOX’s Futurist TV Show: Xploration Earth 2050.
Jason runs a web and mobile dev shop and film studio from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He gives guest lectures at area universities, and regularly supports hackathons or tech events as a mentor and judge.
His methodologies on entrepreneurship and data driven decisions are his main source of education to those he helps all around the world. His startup book Strap on your Boots is the culmination of his life’s work to help other entrepreneurs succeed and is the focus of this class: Startup Essentials. He originally taught the course as a guest lecturer at area universities, including the Wharton School of Business and now the course is available online for students on Udemy.