Starting with OrCAD and Cadence Allegro PCB
- You will need OrCAD and Cadence Allegro software. If you are a college / university student, ask Cadence for a student license. In many countries the student license is free.
Learning a basic board design is essential for everyone who would like to work in electronics or who would like to design electronic boards or products. Learning board design in the right software can open you door into many companies, help you to get a well paid job and can be used to design very complex and advanced boards.
Design a simple board in OrCAD and Allegro PCB
- Draw a schematic
- Route PCB
- Generate the essential files for PCB manufacturer
Cadence software is very powerful
During this course you will learn the basics of using Cadence software. OrCAD and Allegro are professional software used to design the most advanced electronics boards. This software is used in the biggest companies. Learning OrCAD and Allegro is useful for everyone planning or already working in electronics.
Contents and Overview
You will create a simple LED circuit. The course videos are step-by-step and even if you are new in electronics or you have never used OrCAD or Allegro before, by repeating these steps, you will design your board. By the end of this course, you will learn all the most essential information to be able to start using and discovering Cadence by yourself.
Within 1 hour you will learn how to:
- Draw schematic
- Create and update schematic symbols
- Create and update footprints
- Place components into your PCB
- Route simple PCB
- Print from PCB and schematic
- Create Bill of Material (BOM)
- Generate Gerbers and Drill file
For everyone who would like to learn how to start with OrCad and Cadence Allegro PCB.
Enjoy this course :)
Who this course is for:
- College / University students: During this course you will learn the essentials of working in Cadence software. OrCAD and Allegro are used in the biggest companies which are designing electronic boards or products. Knowing how to work with this software can give you an advantage when applying for a job. As a college / university student, you may be able to get a free license of OrCAD and Cadence Allegro.
- Junior / Senior hardware design engineers: During this course you will go through process of designing a simple board. It gives you a quick view through the whole work flow and explains the most essential parts of design process in OrCAD and Allegro. This course can be very useful when you are starting with Cadence or when you are moving to Cadence from a different CAD system.
Robert has designed motherboards based on Intel, AMD, VIA processors. His Youtube hardware design videos have over 7 million views. Robert also teaches Schematic Design and PCB Layout at FEDEVEL Academy.
Other Robert's courses
- Advanced PCB Layout (includes high speed layout)
- Advanced Hardware Design (Schematic & PCB Design Course)
- Learn Altium Essentials (Switching Power Supply Design Course)
- Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO
- Learn OrCAD & Allegro Essentials
Open Source Hardware Development
All Robert's courses are based on real projects. This way, everyone has an opportunity to practice and learn on real boards. Robert has lead and supported development of several Open Source boards used in his courses:
- 28Pins: Based on Arduino Project
- iMX6Rex: Boards based on iMX6 1.2GHz ARM CPU
- OpenRexKit: Education kit to learn programming and electronics
Robert has skills and experience in following areas (10+ years)
- electronic product hardware development (from idea to product)
- schematic design & PCB layout (including high speed design)
- hardware debugging, assembling, verification and testing
- processor and microcontroller board design (x86, MIPS, ARM …) based on Intel, VIA, AMD, Texas Instruments, Freescale, NXP, Qualcomm, Atmel, Microchip, ST ... including Linux and Windows CE compilation, driver modification, microcontroller firmware programming
- interfaces and peripherals: DDR3, DDR2, DDR, FSB, PCI Express, Gb Ethernet, SATA, PCI, ITP, GSM, GPS, CF, PCMCIA, IDE, ISA, LVDS, SDVO, RGB, Composite TV, VGA, HDMI USB, SD, PS2 Keyboard, Mouse, Audio, Touchscreen, JTAG, RS485, CAN, RS232, SPI, I2C, ISDN, PSTN, WiFi, miniPCI, PCIE minicards, COM Express, ZigBee, CPLD, FPGA designs (Xilinx, Altera ...)
- Software: Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro (Orcad, Spectra ...), PADS, Microsoft Visual C++, Delphi, Xilinx ISE, ispLEVER, AVR Studio ...
- programming languages C/C++, VHDL, ABEL, Assemblers, Html, Perl, PHP ...
- design for mass production / cost effective solutions
- EMC design, testing and measurement