Starting with Apache Wicket (version 9.x+)
What you'll learn
- How to make a basic Apache Wicket project setup
- Manage Apache Wicket + Spring Boot integration
- Explore Apache Wicket basic concepts
- Develop a basic Todo App using Wicket
- Connecting to the database using Spring Data integration (MongoDB)
- Using Apache Wicket components
- Use HTML/CSS templates together with Apache Wicket related tag attributes
- Understand how to design applications with Apache Wicket in the background
- Basic Java and web development knowledge
- Basic Spring / SpringBoot framework knowledge
- Basic Web development knowledge of HTML / CSS
Welcome to the ‘Starting with Apache Wicket’ course. With this course, you are going to add value to your existing JAVA and Apache Wicket 9+ (with SpringBoot) knowledge by getting familiar with several techniques for solving specifically selected areas of JAVA web application development.
We will focus on several topics often useful in corporate JAVA development but not exclusively. SpringBoot is being used here as an underlying framework, but solutions presented here are not specific to this platform and can be reused e.g. with recent Quarkus support, etc.
The primary idea of this course is to help new or existing Apache Wicket developers to adopt certain knowledge in an easy way. The solutions presented are being used for several years in production-grade Wicket applications and the libraries used are well-known for stability and active development. This will protect the value invested into adopting some libraries or projects.
What you'll learn
Start building real apps with Apache Wicket and SpringBoot
Become a master in fullstack development using Apache Wicket
Learning-by-doing method of building real application and practice your knowledge immediately
Use ajax client/server communication using Java only
Integrate 3rd party libraries into your Apache Wicket app
Add a new value to your existing SpringBoot development knowledge/skills
Topics covered by this course:
During a course, we create a basic Apache Wicket single-page application and each lecture will add a new enhancement to it. Eventually, we create a single application with many different features. The main topics include:
creating a full-featured single-page application using Apache Wicket
export application data in MS Excel format with formatting and some other features
export application data in PDF format with formatting, embedded images or bar-codes
including MongoDB as persistent data storage
using GridFS as an attachment/file uploads data storage (PREPARING)
An important part of this course is to realize 'what we don't need to do' when using Apache Wicket. Simplification can be huge and the old saying that 'the best code is the code you don't have to write' is proven here.
The source code is available through the link attached to the last lecture in this course. You can clone the repo and use the code snippets we are building in this course.
‘Starting with Apache Wicket’ course is targeted at individuals or small/medium teams of professional Java developers that want to be productive and competitive in this large market. Techniques presented here can be reused easily in application development of many kinds.
Who this course is for:
- 'Starting with Apache Wicket' is targeted for individuals or small/medium teams of professional Java developers that want to be productive and competitive in this large market area. You will see that Apache Wicket can help you to quickly create an applications, that you can maintain easily for decades.
Hi, my name is David Marko, I live in Czech republic and I'm working as software developer and architect for more than 2 decades now. I've been working with Vaadin, SpringBoot, MongoDB and Elasticsearch mainly since Vaadin version 7 by building customer specific applications with focus on integrity, user friendliness and long time maintenance.
Currently I have following certifications:
- Certified Vaadin 14 Professional
- Certified Vaadin 14 Developer
- Certified Vaadin 8 Professional
- Certified Vaadin 8 Developer
- Vaadin 7 Certified Developer
- SalesForce Developer and Administrator
- Certified MongoDB Developer in JAVA
- Certified MongoDB Administrator
- M320: MongoDB Data Modeling