Starting with Altium Designer
- You will need Altium Designer software, ideally AD18 or higher. No previous Altium Designer knowledge is required.
Altium Designer is one of the most popular and frequently used CAD software for schematic design and PCB Layout. If you are planning to become a professional hardware design engineer, if you are moving to Altium Designer from different software or if you have never designed any board before and you would like to learn it, this course will help you.
Go through complete design process of a simple board and learn
- Draw schematic
- Create schematic symbol and footprint libraries
- Route your PCB and do layout
- Generate the essential documents needed to manufacture your PCB
Goal of this course
The main goal of this course is to go through a complete board design process (Schematic + Libraries + PCB + Documentation), and this way to show, demonstrate and practice all the essential Altium Designer features which are also used to create more complex and advanced boards.
Content and Overview
You will start with creating schematic symbols. After all symbols are finished, you will learn how to draw schematic, modify it, how to update your schematic symbol library and how to create footprints. You will learn how to transfer your schematic into PCB, how to do layout and by the end of the course you will generate all the essential manufacturing documents.
In this course you will learn how to:
- Draw schematic, update schematic and annotate schematic
- Create components, draw schematic symbols and footprints
- Place components into your PCB
- Route simple PCB
- Create 3D model of your board
- Create board variants with different components fitted / not fitted
- Create Bill of Material (BOM)
- Create assembly drawings showing position of components on the board
- Generate Gerbers, Pick and Place, Drill file and other files needed for manufacturing
Who this course is for:
- College / University students: In this course you will learn all the essential features of Altium Designer and you will be able to continue using this software by yourself.
- Junior / Senior hardware design engineers who are new in Altium: This course will help you to speed up learning process. You will go through the complete design process of a board and after this course you will know all the most important features which you need to start using the software.
- Beginners, Hobbyists: This is a step-by-step course. You can simply follow the videos even if you have never designed any boards before. Once you finish this course, you will be able to design your own simple boards.
- Everyone moving from previous Altium Designer versions: This course helps you to find the old features located in new places and explains how some new changes in the Altium work.
Robert has designed motherboards based on Intel, AMD, VIA processors. His Youtube hardware design videos have over 7 million views. Robert also teaches Schematic Design and PCB Layout at FEDEVEL Academy.
Other Robert's courses
- Advanced PCB Layout (includes high speed layout)
- Advanced Hardware Design (Schematic & PCB Design Course)
- Learn Altium Essentials (Switching Power Supply Design Course)
- Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO
- Learn OrCAD & Allegro Essentials
Open Source Hardware Development
All Robert's courses are based on real projects. This way, everyone has an opportunity to practice and learn on real boards. Robert has lead and supported development of several Open Source boards used in his courses:
- 28Pins: Based on Arduino Project
- iMX6Rex: Boards based on iMX6 1.2GHz ARM CPU
- OpenRexKit: Education kit to learn programming and electronics
Robert has skills and experience in following areas (10+ years)
- electronic product hardware development (from idea to product)
- schematic design & PCB layout (including high speed design)
- hardware debugging, assembling, verification and testing
- processor and microcontroller board design (x86, MIPS, ARM …) based on Intel, VIA, AMD, Texas Instruments, Freescale, NXP, Qualcomm, Atmel, Microchip, ST ... including Linux and Windows CE compilation, driver modification, microcontroller firmware programming
- interfaces and peripherals: DDR3, DDR2, DDR, FSB, PCI Express, Gb Ethernet, SATA, PCI, ITP, GSM, GPS, CF, PCMCIA, IDE, ISA, LVDS, SDVO, RGB, Composite TV, VGA, HDMI USB, SD, PS2 Keyboard, Mouse, Audio, Touchscreen, JTAG, RS485, CAN, RS232, SPI, I2C, ISDN, PSTN, WiFi, miniPCI, PCIE minicards, COM Express, ZigBee, CPLD, FPGA designs (Xilinx, Altera ...)
- Software: Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro (Orcad, Spectra ...), PADS, Microsoft Visual C++, Delphi, Xilinx ISE, ispLEVER, AVR Studio ...
- programming languages C/C++, VHDL, ABEL, Assemblers, Html, Perl, PHP ...
- design for mass production / cost effective solutions
- EMC design, testing and measurement