Starting to write
- An interest in writing and in exploring your creative side
- A notebook
- Basic knowledge of word processing helps, but isn't essential
- Time and space to write (but that could be 15 minutes on a bus or in a cafe)
This beginners course in Creative Writing will teach you that you don't need to have a 'big idea' to start writing, and will give you proven strategies and practical techniques so that you can start writing straight away. You'll create word sketches and sense impressions, and take your writing out with you so you can write on location. You'll learn the secrets that all practising writers know, and why you should try to make your first drafts as imperfect as possible. I'll also give you some next steps so you can take things further when you're ready.
Who this course is for:
- Absolute beginners who haven't tried creative writing before
- Anyone who wants to rediscover their creative side
- Copywriters and nonfiction writers who want to try writing fiction or poetry
- Teachers starting to teach Creative Writing who need ideas
I've published two novels with Headline Review,The Water’s Edge and The Haven Home for Delinquent Girls , and I've been teaching for 25 years. I've also published a book on time management, a short story collection and several writing guides. I help creative people find time to write amongst the hectic-ness of everyday life.