How to speak like an American: Part 1
What you'll learn
- By the end of the course, students will know how to pronounce the long and short vowel sounds, and diphthongs.
- By the end of the course, students will have had the opportunity to meet with an experienced English teacher to provide individual help in their pronunciation.
- Students need to attend live sessions for assessments
- Students need to practice at least 15 min per day
- Students need a quiet place to listen to the lectures and record assignments.
- Students need to have a mirror, or record themselves with a video camera so they can see themselves speak
- Students know the American English alphabet and the sounds they make.
This course provides practice and explicit instruction in all vowel sounds of Standard American English. There are 17 video lessons and it will take about 2 hours of watch time and more time in practice. Students will meet with the instructor in live sessions for evaluation and assessments as students work through the course. Students who need or want to speak American English more fluently and sound more like a native American English speaker will benefit from this course. Also, students who are preparing for the IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC exams will benefit from the instruction and practice found here.
There are many accents in the world of English. This course teaches Standard American English pronunciation. This is what many English Language Learners are taught all over the world.
Who this course is for:
- Persons wishing to reduce their accent and feel more confident speaking American English.
- Persons wishing to understand spoken American English better
- Students preparing for the IELTS or TOEFL speaking test
I have been a teacher my whole adult life, now going on 25 years! My passion is helping students become fluent in English.
My other goal is to help others with mental illness, so I have shared my story and my ways of living a positive life. All my classes are reasonably priced so students can get the help they need.