How I Solve 95% of All SQL Server Outages
What you'll learn
- Be able to troubleshoot the vast majority of produciton down situations.
- Understand how organic transactions flow through a well tuned SQL Server.
- You'll have a well defined, simplistic process approach on how to approach any outage.
- Answer any interview question on the topic of production outages with conviction.
- Speak the proper vernacular when discussing performance tuning, wait statistics and SQL Server incidents.
- Accurately analyze performance related outages.
- Before you begin you will need to a strong fundamental grasp for SQL Server
- Using the industry vernacular on SQL Server DBA levels, the course is intended for junior level SQL Server DBAs and above.
- You’ll need to have SQL Server installed on a laptop or environment where you can run the demos.
- All of the demos are written in transact. All versions from 2005 forward will work however, ideally you’ll be using 2012 or 2014.
- You’ll need to have local administrative permission on this environment to install one small application.
- All the tools, scripts and code needed for this course are included in the cost of the course. There are no additional fees.
"This was one of the most useful classes I have taken in a long time. Very specific, real-world examples. It covered several instances of 'what is happening', 'what it means' and 'how you fix it'. I was impressed." Steve
"Mike West ROCKS and is a FANTASTIC TEACHER for newbie DBAs! If you offer more videos on the subject i will be one of the first to sign up!!" - Rob R
"I've been a DBA for a few years now and have used sp_who is active for years (and love it!) and even I learned a few new tricks. Great class!" Nancy
"Well the credit also goes back to the mentor of this online course... yes it is worth for small amount of price." HCDS Academy
"Very practical course" - Guillermo
"I love the detail and the real world applications" - Darryl
"Knowledge is always about applied information towards getting results in a particular context. This is pristine knowledge supported by the experience of Mike. Solid gold" - Roman
"Awesome course, it showed me some useful tips and some neat things which I will be using from now on" Thomas
"Does an excellent job of (a) explaining course intent, (b) concepts, and most importantly, (c) explains the tools, gives a detailed (and easy) description of how to install them, and how to use them, and for what purpose. Great course!" Douglas T.
"This will give you a head start when it comes to trouble shooting your SQL server. Thanks Mike !" Luke D
"Instructor was engaging and the course material was just the right about to get to the core of the issues." Texas Squirrel
"Difficult concepts expressed in simple terms." Dare David
What do I mean when I use the words “real world?"
This course is about learning a very specific skill that's one of the most important ones to becoming a senior level SQL Server DBA and that is - Where do you begin troubleshooting production issues?
I'm going to give you the starting point and we are going to work through several examples of real world scenarios where a SQL Server was down and how I brought back online. You'll learn the language of performance tuning.
All industries have their own vernacular and the SQL world is no exception.I'll be introducing some new terms and scripts that are very specific to performance tuning and optimization.
These scripts and how I apply them are worth the cost of the course. Performance tuners are like mechanics. Our goal is to keep the SQL engine as tuned as it possibly can be.
One stored procedure to rule them all!
In the real world, the elite SQL Server DBAs don't use canned tools. Many of the greats have a library of scripts and they use ONE of these every single day.
If you don't have a script library started then I'll show you how to set one up and GIVE you your first few scripts.
When I'm called into troubleshoot a struggling SQL Server I always use ONE script first.
This script was developed by one of the world's leading experts on SQL Server and used by many of the world's leading experts on SQL Server.
This is a hands on course.
You will simulate a OLTP application and learn what to look for when issues arise. All of the demos are written in transact. Everything is included in the price of the course. Set up for the course is easy. Installing the tools will take several minutes.
The most important part of our course will be working through the real world examples. All my lessons will have very specific instructions. The set up for all of the lessons is simply to cut and paste the transact code into SQL Server Management Studio.
The vast majority of the course will be working through the demos and analyzing how to troubleshot production down issues and what steps can be taken to bring the server back online.
The course will also include lectures but the lectures will be short and pragmatic. SQL Server is one of the most complicated pieces of software in Microsoft's suite. This course will provide you with the single most important facet to analyzing real world outages. Where do you start?
If you want to be one of the most skilled SQL Server DBAs then you MUST learn how to use this script effectively!
Start now! Enroll today.
Who this course is for:
- Those with a fundamental understanding of SQL Server.
- If we use the collegiate scale this course would be a 300 level course.
- While I appreciate your enthusiasm beginners should wait until they’ve had a couple of years of experience under their belt before working through this course. It will be here when you’re ready.
- The ideal student would be a mid to senior level SQL Server DBA with three or more years’ experience as an operational DBA.
I'm the founder of LogikBot. I've worked at Microsoft and Uber. I helped design courses for Microsoft's Data Science Certifications. If you're interested in machine learning, I can help.
I've worked with databases for over two decades. I've worked for or consulted with over 50 different companies as a full time employee or consultant. Fortune 500 as well as several small to mid-size companies. Some include: Georgia Pacific, SunTrust, Reed Construction Data, Building Systems Design, NetCertainty, The Home Shopping Network, SwingVote, Atlanta Gas and Light and Northrup Grumman.
Over the last five years I've transitioned to the exciting world of applied machine learning. I'm excited to show you what I've learned and help you move into one of the single most important fields in this space.
Experience, education and passion
I learn something almost every day. I work with insanely smart people. I'm a voracious learner of all things SQL Server and I'm passionate about sharing what I've learned. My area of concentration is performance tuning. SQL Server is like an exotic sports car, it will run just fine in anyone's hands but put it in the hands of skilled tuner and it will perform like a race car.
Certifications are like college degrees, they are a great starting points to begin learning. I'm a Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA), Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) and Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT).
Born in Ohio, raised and educated in Pennsylvania, I currently reside in Atlanta with my wife and two children.