Sports Management: The Essentials Course
What you'll learn
- What sports management is
- What are sports and how did they develop?
- What is ethnography and how does it apply to sports?
- What is consumer behaviour and how do sports relate to it?
- The impact of sports on society
- The values of sports and sport culture
- How equality can be promoted through sports
- How sports and psychology are linked
- Why integrity and ethics are important in sports and sports management
- Ethical issues in modern sport and the future of sports ethics
- What is strategic management and how can it be applied to gain a competitive advantage?
- The importance of analysis in strategic management
- What is corporate social responsibility and do sports fans care about it?
- How mega events and sports can be socially responsible
- Links between sports and economics
- What is financial doping and is it fair?
- The costs of mega events and are they really worth it?
- The importance of sports sponsorship
- What is sports development and why it’s an important part of elite sport and communities
- Issues facing sports development
- How can a sports development program be improved?
- What is sports marketing and who is the sports consumer?
- What is the marketing mix?
- How technology has helped shape sports for the fans, athletes and coaches
- What technologies are being developed to change the future of sports
- The media’s importance in the sports industry
- Why financial management and financial reports are so important
- Where sports financing comes from and the risk management that comes with it
- The importance of data analytics in modern sport
- There are no prerequirements
Sports management is the principle of organising and running sports and sports activities. It focuses primarily on the business side of sports but also on how sports can have a positive impact on our lives. In sports management, the economic and social effects of sports are measured and studied. The modern sports industry is worth billions of dollars and creates employment for millions of people. Sports management focuses a lot on how to improve the industry and how to maximise profits and success of sporting organisations. Someone working in sports management might be the executive of a professional club, a sports brand or a sporting organisation or league. Sports management is also a useful subject for sports coaches, event planners and any management role.
Sports have always been an important part of human society, and the sporting industry has grown to have a major economic impact on the world too. Throughout history, humans have used sports to have fun, demonstrate their skills and engage in competition. Sports allow us to engage our innate need to compete against others while also promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. Sports have always been popular with fans and now, thanks to advances in technology, sports fans are now able to watch sports whenever they like. The increased availability of sports has led to a rapid growth in the industry and the professional sports we see today are a direct result of that.
As the sports industry has gotten more professional, the need for effective sports management has grown. Sports have become more competitive than ever, and the margins for success are normally very small. This means that effective management is more important than ever, as it can make the difference between success and failure at the highest levels of sports. In the future, as the impact of technology and management practices grow, executives with a deep understanding of sports management will be in high demand. Through learning about how the principles of management relate to the sports industry, you’ll be preparing yourself for a successful career in the world of sports.
What You’ll Learn
· What sports management is
· What are sports and how did they develop?
· What is ethnography and how does it apply to sports?
· What is consumer behaviour and how do sports relate to it?
· The impact of sports on society
· The values of sports and sport culture
· How equality can be promoted through sports
· How sports and psychology are linked
· Why integrity and ethics are important in sports and sports management
· Ethical issues in modern sport and the future of sports ethics
· What is strategic management and how can it be applied to gain a competitive advantage?
· The importance of analysis in strategic management
· What is corporate social responsibility and do sports fans care about it?
· How mega events and sports can be socially responsible
· Links between sports and economics
· What is financial doping and is it fair?
· The costs of mega events and are they really worth it?
· The importance of sports sponsorship
· What is sports development and why it’s an important part of elite sport and communities
· Issues facing sports development
· How can a sports development program be improved?
· What is sports marketing and who is the sports consumer?
· What is the marketing mix?
· What is the product life cycle?
· The importance of brand and brand recognition
· What is market segmentation?
· How technology has helped shape sports for the fans, athletes and coaches
· What technologies are being developed to change the future of sports
· The principles of management
· The media’s importance in the sports industry
· Why financial management and financial reports are so important
· Where sports financing comes from and the risk management that comes with it
· The importance of data analytics in modern sport
Words from the Author, Saam Momen:
I have a true passion for teaching! I have proudly taught university courses in Switzerland, USA and Brazil. My career spans over 15 years in the sporting industry with jobs at the London Olympic Bid Committee, UEFA, CSM and TEAM Marketing. I possess a Master Degree in Sports Management and an Executive Education diploma at Harvard Business School on The Business of Entertainment, Media and Sports. I hope that throughout this course you are able to have a wonderful learning experience! Please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any queries.
Why Choose This Course?
This course has been specifically developed to help broaden your understanding of the sports industry and how management practices can affect it. If you’re looking to work in any level of sports, a deep knowledge of the industry and how it operates is important. A lot of what you’ll find in this course covers real life examples of how sports organisations work and what makes them successful. While some course may be heavy on the theories, we balance things out by showing you plenty of case studies of effective sport management and the practices involved in the industry.
In modern sports, management is more important than ever, especially with so many sports clubs now being run for profit. As the sports industry grows, the need for effective management does too. Sports organisations are increasingly mindful of how their off-field decisions can affect their on-field performances. Management practices need to get smarter as competition between teams increases. The industry needs people with an understanding of the business side of sport more than ever as it continues to grow and develop.
All of the information in this course has been selected to give you the best possible insight into the sports industry and business decisions that affect sports teams, brands and organisations. As well as providing up to date examples, the theories and concepts are also chosen due to their relevance in modern sports business.
You’ll learn about the principles of management and how they can be applied to the sports industry. There will also be chapters on how to prepare and analyse financial reports and why accurate financial reporting is so important. There will be a chance to learn about financing in sports and why risk assessment is necessary for any form of investment. Financial implications of mega events, sports sponsorships and more are all discussed in detail, and you’ll learn about the link between sports and economics.
There will be a chance to learn about strategic management, the competitive advantage and how a strategic management plan be formulated for success. Strategic management is how modern businesses plan to make better use their resources and time, gaining an edge over the competition and increasing profitability and success. Now more than ever, strategic management is an important part of sports, and many sports organisations are focusing on strategic management plans.
The course also goes into details on topics such as technology and how technological advancements are helping to change the sport. You’ll see real examples of past, present and future technologies and how they’ve helped to change sports for the fans, athletes and coaches. The use of technology has wide ranging implications for the future of sports and sports management. This course is a great way to study and prepare for those future trends.
Of course, sports management is more than just the financial aspects. There are multiple chapters here where you’ll be able to learn about the history of sports and how sports can create a positive impact on people and society as a whole. You’ll also be able to discover some of the challenges involved in balancing competition and fair play and why sports ethics are an important thing to consider.
This course presents a balanced and complete view of the sports industry and sports management as a whole. It can be useful to just learn the business side, but without seeing the whole picture, your understanding of the industry will be lacking.
For those who wish to build a successful career in the sports industry, a complete knowledge of sports management is important. This course is designed to give you a broad understanding of the topics being discussed and makes use of case studies to provide context.
Who this course is for:
- Sport management students
- Marketing, sponsorship and business administration enthusiasts
- Sports managers
The Sports Executive Path platform was founded in 2020 by Saam Momen, an independent sport business professional who has over 17 years of involvement with the world of sports in companies like UEFA, CSM, TEAM Marketing, the London 2012 Olympic Bidding Committee, as well as in dozens of sports-related projects.
The platform was created to help anyone interested in gaining knowledge about sports management and the sports industry. Entering the world of sports is notoriously difficult and challenging, competition is fierce and jobs at the top of the pyramid are scarce. Through the courses, Saam will provide guidance and tips, explain myths and grant access to valuable information for anyone wanting to enter this vast and exciting world.