This Spelling Rules course is for both British and American English users, especially native speakers, who feel embarrassed by their spelling, and haven't really had to use spelling much but now because of emails, social media, writing reports, etc., suddenly need to improve spelling for work, training, and to improve job prospects.
The course is also great for people who are coming back to studying, who've maybe had a bad experience at school, or maybe need to help children with their spelling.
This is a clear, friendly, step-by-step course that builds your spelling knowledge and confidence in spelling because it's not about learning obscure spelling rules but useful, very helpful rules:
- Adding -es to nouns and verbs
- Drop the 'e' rule
- Silent 'e' magic 'e'
- 1:1:1 doubling up rule for short and long words
- y to i and y to ies rules
- Silent letter patterns and rules
- Letter pattern rules (cial/tial, tion/sion/cian, ie or ei...)
- And many more
Why is learning and knowing spelling rules so helpful?
- They help explain why certain letter patterns occur, and why a word is spelled the way it is.
- They can help you figure out how to spell a word, of course.
- They help your reading because you can identify the rule's letter patterns.
- They help you build "long" words with prefixes & suffixes.
- And they help your confidence to spell well, to read, and to improve your vocabulary.
The course's tutor, Joanne Rudling, is a lecturer, tutor, teacher trainer with 20 years' experience in teaching spelling, literacy and English in colleges in the UK.
It's a video based course with additional PDF worksheets for revision, external exercises & quizzes, and spelling tests, which are all in the Resources section of the course.
I enjoyed the course because it is very clear and you can go over and over it again until you feel comfortable to move on. Darren
A lot of good information is covered and is easy to understand. Joanne is an awesome teacher and I've learned so much from taking her Spelling Strategies Video in 2013. Julie
It is a very good course for people to understand the reason behind spelling. This is a much better way to remember the correct spelling. Zohal
Great source for improving spelling.Thank you, Joanne.
So far the course is nicely laid out. I also like the tests after each lesson. John
It's very helpful and interesting Kristy
Excellent materials JC