Spelling Rules: to improve spelling & confidence
- 10 hours on-demand video
- 72 downloadable resources
- 2 Practice Tests
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand key spelling rules
- Be confident in spelling and writing
- Understand why spelling is the way it is
- Build words with prefixes and suffixes to help spelling, and reading
- Notice letter and spelling patterns
- Improve reading and vocabulary too
- Native speakers who can read and write but need help with spelling.
- A good level of English for non-native speakers.
- Not for beginner ESL, second language students.
This Spelling Rules course is for both British and American English users, especially native speakers, who feel embarrassed by their spelling, and haven't really had to use spelling much but now because of emails, social media, writing reports, etc., suddenly need to improve spelling for work, training, and to improve job prospects.
The course is also great for people who are coming back to studying, who've maybe had a bad experience at school, or maybe need to help children with their spelling.
This is a clear, friendly, step-by-step course that builds your spelling knowledge and confidence in spelling because it's not about learning obscure spelling rules but useful, very helpful rules:
- Adding -es to nouns and verbs
- Drop the 'e' rule
- Silent 'e' magic 'e'
- 1:1:1 doubling up rule for short and long words
- y to i and y to ies rules
- Silent letter patterns and rules
- Letter pattern rules (cial/tial, tion/sion/cian, ie or ei...)
- And many more
Why is learning and knowing spelling rules so helpful?
- They help explain why certain letter patterns occur, and why a word is spelled the way it is.
- They can help you figure out how to spell a word, of course.
- They help your reading because you can identify the rule's letter patterns.
- They help you build "long" words with prefixes & suffixes.
- And they help your confidence to spell well, to read, and to improve your vocabulary.
The course's tutor, Joanne Rudling, is a lecturer, tutor, teacher trainer with 20 years' experience in teaching spelling, literacy and English in colleges in the UK.
It's a video based course with additional PDF worksheets for revision, external exercises & quizzes, and spelling tests, which are all in the Resources section of the course.
I enjoyed the course because it is very clear and you can go over and over it again until you feel comfortable to move on. Darren
A lot of good information is covered and is easy to understand. Joanne is an awesome teacher and I've learned so much from taking her Spelling Strategies Video in 2013. Julie
It is a very good course for people to understand the reason behind spelling. This is a much better way to remember the correct spelling. Zohal
Great source for improving spelling.Thank you, Joanne.
So far the course is nicely laid out. I also like the tests after each lesson. John
It's very helpful and interesting Kristy
Excellent materials JC
- This course is meant for American and British adult native speakers.
- Anyone who is frustrated with their spelling.
This introduction to the Spelling Rules Course explains how this course is suitable for adults who are American and British English users. This course is for you if you feel embarrassed by your spelling, had a bad experience at school, have not really had to use spelling much but now because of emails, social media, writing reports, etc. suddenly need to improve spelling for your work, and to improve your job prospects, or maybe help your children with their spelling.
Learning spelling rules is a great way to improve your spelling, and also helps you understand why certain letter patterns occur, and why a word is spelled the way it is, and gives you confidence to write and apply for that promotion, job, training course you long for.
It's never too late to improve your spelling.
I've had over 20 years experience teaching spelling, English, literacy and writing, and have my own spelling for adults website. I've also worked for Amazon drama changing their closed captions/subtitles from American to British English.
There are some words that you need to know when learning spelling rules: short and long vowel sounds, vowel and consonant suffixes, prefixes, suffixes, and root words, letter patterns, syllables, syllable breakdown, and syllable stress. Do you know what these words mean? Or do you know the words but not sure how they relate to spelling?
Find out how to access the PDFs, exercises and spelling tests that go with each lesson.
Test your spelling knowledge with this video. Please don't worry about making mistakes - mistakes are great because you can learn from them.
When you've finished the course, go to the last section and re-do this test.
Remember that just because you've seen a lesson on the rule once doesn't mean you're going to remember it, so revise little and often to get it into your long term memory.
The silent 'e' at the end of words makes a huge difference to the meaning and pronunciation of words - that's why it's "magic" and such a powerful "little" letter. You'll find out how it works, why it's necessary and how it can improve not only your spelling but reading too.
This rule is all about dropping the 'e' when adding vowel suffixes like -ing and -y but sometimes we keep the 'e' too find out all about this useful rule.Top tip though - I hope you've watched the previous two videos on the vocabulary of spelling and the magic 'e' silent 'e' because you'll need some of the language and knowledge from these two lessons.