Special theory of relativity
- 8 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- The student will learn intuitive idea behind the special theory of relativity.
- Coordinate system
- postulates of special theory of relativity and its consequences
- Interval in special relativity , Minkowski space, Light Cone, Physicsal meaning of the interval.
- Time dialation, action principle in special theory of relativity.
- Four vectors, Lorentz transformation and lorentz group, Minkowski metric, Tensor algebra, Continuity equation in Special relativity
- Gauss- divergence theorem in 4 dimensional volume element
- Dynamics of a particle using principle of least action, hamiltionian jacobi equation
- relativistic mass energy relation and its classical limits. Relativistic hamiltonian jacobi equation
- Relativistic electrodynamics, derivation of lorentz force equation in relativity. Covarient form of electromagnetic fields, Relativistic canonical momentum
- Gauge transformation, Continuity equation for relativistic Currents,
- Action and dynamics for the fields, Energy momentum stress tensor
- Field theoretic equation for electromagnetism, Lorentz gauge, coulumb gauge
- Basic calculus
- Basic classical mechanics (least action principle)
- Basic of electromagnetism
In this course, the existence of maximal finite invariant speed (speed of light) leads to the many interesting consequences. The classical Newtonian theory breaks at high speed. The classical concepts of space and time breaks and the new concept of spacetime arises in which space and time are in the same footing. And our usual intuition breaks at this speeds. We observe lots of new phenomena which are relativistic in nature. One example is Electromagnetism.
- BSc and MSc students
- And those who want to learn relativity more rigorous and intuitively
Here you will learn dynamics of a particle, Least action principle, Canonical momentum, Jacobi equation.
In this lecture, you will learn action for relativistic free particles and its corresponding lagrangian, mass-energy relation, total relativistic energy, Derivation of equation of motion for relativistic free particles, properties of 4 velocities and 4 acceleration, relativistic particles with some potential (scalar and vector), Action for gravity, Lagrangian for charge particle in a potential, derivation of the equation of motion for relativistic particles in EM field generalize Lorentz force equation, electromagnetic field tensor and the physical meaning of its components, Canonical momentum for a relativistic particle in EM potential, Gauge transformation and gauge-invariant quantities, Action is invariant under gauge transformation.
Lorentz transformation of the electric and magnetic field and its properties, Search for a combination of electric and magnetic such that it remains invariant under Lorentz transformation, Action for a charged particle in electromagnetic fields, electromagnetic current density and relativistic continuity equation. Conserved currents.