Speak IT With Style
What you'll learn
- Create and deliver an engaging presentation, even if the topic is technical and the audience isn't
- Understand your audience, and identify a central idea that will resonate with them
- Craft appealing content, including visuals and stories
- Structure ideas in a way that will help the audience understand and remember them
- Remove jargon, acronyms, and technical terms the audience may not be familiar with
- Incorporate natural eye contact, movement, and vocal variety into your delivery
- Practice and prepare effectively, so you'll be confident when delivering your presentation
- You don't need any prior speaking experience, but you'll gain the most from this course if you have a particular presentation you need to create and deliver.
Let’s say you work in a technical field and you need to give a presentation. If you’re speaking on a subject like enterprise architecture, or data management, or cyber security, for example, you’ll often be talking with people who are not experts in your particular area.
They might be customers, or a general audience at a conference, or executives and decision-makers you’d like to influence.
When you’re in this situation, it’s challenging to do it in a way that’s engaging and accessible. Too often, presentations on technical subjects are dry, boring, and frustrating for the audience.
The people who are able to do it differently, though, the people who speak IT with style, have a huge advantage. These people are not only great in their technical area, they’re also able to connect with other people and show them the value in their ideas.
These are the people whose projects are funded, whose ideas fly, who get to work on the coolest stuff, and who get great jobs at great workplaces. These are the people who get to make a difference.
Everyone can learn to do this. And that’s what we’ll do in this course. We’re going to throw away the old story that it’s OK for technical presentations to be dry and boring. We’re aiming higher. We’re also throwing away the old story that you’re not a good speaker. You absolutely can be.
We’ll build your presentation together from start to finish, with videos and exercises to help you every step of the way.
When you’ve finished the course you’ll have a presentation that’s ready to go, one that will have a real impact on your audience, no matter who that audience is and no matter what topic you’re speaking on. You’ll amaze yourself at how great you’ll feel delivering this presentation and at how people respond to it. And best of all, you’ll have a process that works, that you can use over and over again for any speaking situation.
Are you ready to get started?
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for you if you need to deliver a presentation on a technical topic to an audience who are not experts in your area--customers, executives, or conference delegates, for example. The course content is also broadly applicable to any presenter.
Patricia McMillan lives at the edge where two worlds meet: the world of innovation, technology and digital transformation; and the ancient world of storytelling, which speaks to our human need to connect with each other and create sense and meaning in our lives. She’s on a quest to transform soul-sapping work into work that fires the imagination.
Patricia helps business leaders use the power of stories to transform their organisations. Her background in mathematics and 20 years experience in information technology make her ideally placed to bring these skills to technology and information professionals.
She is the author of Make It Matter: The Surprising Secret for Leading Digital Transformation.