#1 Sourdough Bread Baking 101
What you'll learn
- Bake a loaf of real sourdough bread and amaze your family and friends.
- Know what an autolyse is and why it is used in bread baking.
- How to mix and fold dough a gentle method of developing gluten which does not entail kneading.
- Have an easy method of baking with steam in your own home oven.
- Know how to shape a boule (round loaf) and a batard (long oval loaf).
- How to handle sticky, wet dough.
- Why a long cool ferment is beneficial as a baking technique.
- See how to clean, store and use a banneton.
- What to use if you don't have a banneton and what a banneton is used for.
- How to make your own sourdough starter, step by step.
- What hydration means in baking terms.
- You will see how to bake, slice and eat a freshly baked slice of bread ( you will need help with this skill) ;)
- Understand baker's lingo, learn some bread history, understand how to measure ingredients.
- Bring your passion for learning! A kitchen scale is necessary as well as other basic baking equipment, like a baking stone, a roasting pan lid, a sharp scoring blade, water spray bottle and other assorted items found in the home kitchen.
- Basic baking kitchen skills are necessary.
- A desire to bake and eat real sourdough bread.
- Jump in, the ingredient and equipment list isn't that long and is available in the course.
Edited: Course Updated November 2021
Tired of baking bricks when everyone else is baking super gorgeous sourdough bread with a holey crumb and crispy crust? Change all of that by enrolling in "Sourdough Bread Baking 101."
This is the sourdough baking course you need if you are just starting out in sourdough bread baking. In my other courses, I teach how to bake all sorts of sourdough breads, but in this course, I won't load you down with lots of information, just enough so it is easy and fun to bake your first loaf of sourdough.
You will first learn how to make your own sourdough starter at home, day by day with detailed instructions, videos and a free pdf downloadable booklet.
Next, you'll move onto baking waffles to test your new sourdough starter and then onto your first sourdough test loaf. Once you've taken a basic white sourdough loaf, steaming hot, out of your own oven, you will be ready to move on to more complex formulas.
There are two basic sourdough bread formulas in this course. I call them "First Loaf" and "Second Loaf." We will follow the easy step by step directions of the process together. The first loaf is easy. It is a one day round boule with a lower hydration dough, which means it is not too wet or sticky. The second loaf is a two day high hydration dough and is a batard or French style loaf. Working together, I will show you how to handle a wet, sticky dough and how to do an autolyse. This bread results in a lovely tasting bread with large holes and a wonderful crispy crust.
This course is for BEGINNERS who have no idea of how to bake with sourdough or those who have tried and stumbled. I have fifteen years of experience teaching the newbie sourdough baker, so come on! Let's have some fun! You know want to!
This course would make an excellent gift for the aspiring baker in your family circle, whether an older baker or a young new baker.
Some skills you will learn:
How to make and care for your own sourdough starter
Why it's important to weigh ingredients.
Gathering some basic baking equipment
How to mix and fold dough. No kneading here.
Shaping, scoring and baking the dough.
What to do after you've baked your first loaf... hint (bake your second loaf)
When you have finished Sourdough Bread Baking 101, you will have the confidence to not only bake using your own sourdough starter, you will be ready for more advanced sourdough baking techniques which will enable you to bake all sorts of sourdough artisan breads.
Some Student Reviews:
by Pam H - Outstanding
This is an outstanding class on sourdough - well written text lectures, great videos and clear recipes/formulas. I've been a bread baker for 40 years this class has taken my sourdough baking skill to a whole new level.
by Amanda H Fantastic Class
I absolutely loved Teresa's Sourdough 101 class. Her directions were easy to follow, full of great info, and I was able to bake incredible sourdough bread! I loved it so much that I have already signed up for her other three courses. My family and I say thank you Teresa.
by Samira M Very good
For the first time I could bake a bread a really sourdough bread. The course is really good. Simple and direct. Thank you so much Teresa.
by Ban S excellent course for sourdough baking
an excellent course for beginners in sourdough baking and excellent instructor with great experience.
by Robin E More More More
Can't get enough! I love Teresa Greenway's courses. She is so complete and does not just leave you hanging. She is there for you just like in a classroom and helps troubleshoot and encourage. Thank you so much I look forward to the future bakes and classes.
by Simon H Brilliant
I've checked out many sourdough baking texts and videos but then I discovered Teresa. Absolutely brilliant, not least, Teresa uses highly accurate gram measurements and not flippin cups. What's more she explains why cups are an inaccurate measure. The course takes the student by the hand and slow, confidently and kindly walks through each step simply. There's no technical jargon and no assumption that the student knows this or that before setting out. The texts are clear, the videos are clear. This is without doubt the best sourdough bread making course I've ever seen. Thank you Teresa
by Jeni H Absolutely fantastic!
Who this course is for:
- Sourdough Bread Baking 101 is for the beginner, someone who is comfortable in a kitchen, but needs help with learning how to bake with sourdough.
- This course is not for the seasoned sourdough baker. It is a very simple course with only two bread formulas and step by step instructions on how to bake them.
- This course is for the seasoned baker who has never worked with sourdough and wants to learn how.
- This course is for young teens who could benefit from learning basic baking skills and who want to learn to bake some of the best bread in the world.
- This is an excellent course to give as a gift to an aspiring baker or someone who needs a new hobby.
Teresa loves teaching serious home bakers, how to bake real sourdough bread! She worked at two different bakeries besides baking at home for over 40 years. Eighteen years ago, she built a business (Northwest Sourdough) along with a membership site (The Baking Network) around teaching others how to bake real sourdough at home. She published a four volume book called, "Discovering Sourdough," "Extreme Fermentation" and also, "Make Your Own Sourdough Starter." You can find the live series "Make Your Own Sourdough Starter with Me" on You Tube plus a free downloadable e-book.
Teresa's Facebook group, "Perfect Sourdough" is the largest sourdough bread baking group in the world. She also has other groups, "The Baking Network" and "Bread Bakers and Artisan Baked Goods" for all types of baking. Followers can also join her membership site at "The Baking Network" online.
Her Bread Recipes and Formulas from her books and blog and baking courses have been featured on TV and spread all around the world through online forums, her active Facebook group, Perfect Sourdough, Youtube channel and her site, Northwest Sourdough.
Northwest Sourdough is featured in the resource section of Peter Reinhart's book," Artisan Breads Every Day." Teresa was also one of the photographers for "The Grain Gathering" in it's early years when it was called, "Kneading Conference West." She has been featured in numerous articles, magazines and interviews including Forbes and First for Women. She was selected as one of the top ten Udemy instructors in 2015 and now has thirteen sourdough baking courses on Udemy.
Most of all, Teresa loves to see YOU pull a crispy, crusty, holey sourdough loaf from your own oven. Yes, you can learn to bake the best bread in the world!