Soundscaping for health, relationships and success
What you'll learn
- Understand the fundamental relationships between, sound, vibration and our universe
- Learn about the difference between vision and sound, and how they are both processed by our brains
- Become aware of noise and its impact on our health, our education and our economy
- Learn how to take control of the noise around you
- Design for experience
- Understand how and when music should be used
- Output appropriate and thoughtful sound
- Become capable of using sound to calm and sooth, and the best practises for sound health
- Understand the benefits of generative sound
- Audit the sound around you
- Learn how to create soundscapes for specific affect
- Intermediate English
Look around you. Most of what you see was designed by someone. Now think about the soundscapes you have experienced today. The odds are, most of them have been accidental and unpleasant. Sound profoundly affects every area of our lives, from our health to our productivity.
The word 'soundscape' was coined by the Canadian composer and author Murray Schafer. Schafer used the word to describe all of the sound around us. 'Soundscaping', the verb, describes the process of consciously designing that sound; taking responsibility for it and creating sound that is appropriate, effective and intentional. This skill can be applied anywhere; in your home, in your office, in your schools.
My mission is to make the world sound beautiful. I've spoken about this topic on the TED stage in my talk Why architects need to use their ears. As founder of The Sound Agency, my company works with some of the world's biggest brands to increase their sales and customer satisfaction by improving the way they sound. Now I share this knowledge with you to help you master the art of soundscaping.
Who this course is for:
- Office workers
- Business people
- Branding consultants
- Business owners
- Interior designers
Julian Treasure is a sound and communication expert. His vision is for a world that listens consciously and speaks powerfully.
Julian is author of the books How to be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening and Sound Business.
His five TED talks about sound and communication have been watched over 90 million times and his latest talk, How to speak so that people want to listen, is the sixth most watched TED talk of all time.
Julian is a media commentator on speaking and listening skills, and has been featured by the likes of TIME Magazine, The Economist, The BBC, and The Times.
Julian's company, The Sound Agency, works with major brands worldwide to improve the way they sound. Their pioneering methods have improved customer happiness, raised sales, and even lowered crime rates, and their work has made headlines internationally.