Songwriting for Everyone
- No previous experience or preparation necessary, just the desire to write songs!
|This is a songwriting course for everyone, whether you're already a musician, or someone with no training at all but the desire to create music. |
Think of composers such as Paul McCartney, who admits to no formal training in music. Or singers, who even at an early age can sing in perfect pitch. The ability to create music is in everyone.
Have you ever seen Behind The Music or an interview with a famous composer or band on how they actually write their songs? They almost always play chords on a guitar or piano which generates melodies in their mind.
In this course you will learn how melodies are generated in the mind as chords are played. You will see how musical phrases are joined into sentences, and then combined into sections, which form songs. Throughout the course I use real world examples of contemporary hit songs such as Rihanna's "Stay" and Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself." I also discuss and demonstrate the application of basic songwriting techniques and song elements in classic rock songs from Led Zeppelin to Nirvana.
These sections - Introduction, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus and Bridge - are the main elements of today's modern music. At the end of this course you will be able to compose as many songs as you wish, in any style or genre!
This is an interactive course, where I play chord progressions on the guitar as you sing melodies. By the end of this course you will have written your first song, and you will be able to compose as many songs as you wish, in any style - pop, jazz, rock, country, and more!
- ANYONE interested in songwriting, from total newcomers to experienced and even professional musicians.
- Intro: Welcome & Getting Started03:00
- 1: Creating a Musical Phrase04:56
- 2: The Construction of Two Musical Phrases02:46
- The Various Methods Utilized to Create Three Phrases04:37
- Review of Musical Phrases and Chord Progressions03:14
- The Creation of the Verse and Its Importance In the Development of the Song10:42
- Continuation of the Verse Development and Ideas on Construction04:08
- The Pre-Chorus05:39
- Chords and Keys03:55
- The Role of the Chorus as the Main Body of the Song05:37
- Review: Intro, Verse, Pre-Chorus and Chorus02:26
- The Importance and Function of Repetition in All Music06:31
- The Bridge: a Brand New Section Used in Many Modern Songs04:17
- The Completed Song05:42
- Summing Up - Final Thoughts on Songwriting07:42
Joseph R. Lilore is an arranger, composer and author with over 25 published books. He has taught music at all levels and across musical genres.
In his chord book "Guitar Chords for the 21st Century," he presents 1,848 alternative C chords, for a total of 22,176 new chords in all.
In addition to teaching and writing, he is a composer who has composed six pieces for guitar and various ensembles, as well as five pieces for violin and classical guitar.
In this course he brings his depth of music knowledge and his teaching background to create easy-to-follow, accessible lessons.