Songwriting: Write Your First (or Next) Great Song Now
What you'll learn
- Gain in-depth, hands-on knowledge of how to write powerful songs in any genre.
- Follow a tried and true 8-Step songwriting path to complete your first or next great song,
- Understand all the elements of song structure and how to use them.
- Quick Start: Jump in by writing a quick 3-chord song to break the ice.
- Learn how to write songs starting with either the music or the words.
- Explore a wealth of concepts and ideas to inspire you and keep you writing.
- Learn how to assess, edit, polish, and performance-proof your song.
- Develop the motivation, enthusiasm, and self-confidence to make songwriting a positive, creative force in your life.
- Learn to see yourself as a songwriter and then become one.
- The only prerequisite for this course is to possess a curiosity or desire to write songs that move people.
- If you don't play an instrument, there are a few brief lessons included to help get you started playing guitar.
Write Your First (or Next) Great Song Now is a comprehensive and inspiring road map for becoming a powerful and confident working songwriter. So, what does that mean? A "working songwriter" is someone who regularly writes and performs highly original songs that garner recognition and accolades from peer musicians, fans, venues and press alike. Writing head-turning, beautifully crafted songs sets you apart, elevating you to the upper ranks of visibility and respect.
This course is designed and structured to get you there as quickly as possible--giving you everything you need to do the work and make it happen. The only missing ingredient is you. Your passion. Your energy and commitment. Your unique voice. Complete all the assignments and the 8-Step Songstarter process and you will be well on your way with a calling card in hand that confirms for all who hear it that you are a songwriter.
Thousands of people on any given day are dreaming of becoming songwriters. The difference is in the doing. Seize this moment and begin turning your dream into the daily, life-affirming reality of the working songwriter.
Nearly 7 hours of on-camera teaching across more than nearly 100 highly structured video lectures (no Powerpoints!)
Packed with practical theory, real-world examples, and hands-on exercises so you can move quickly and confidently forward on your songwriting journey
Learn everything you need to know to start and complete a high-quality song by the end of the course
Self-paced and available 24/7
Works on a Mac, PC, and a variety of other devices
Purchase risk-free with Udemy's 30-day money-back guarantee
Major Course Sections Include:
Start Simply. Simply Start.
You Are a Songwriter
What Are Your Goals?
Creativity and The Muse
The Whole Mentor/Apprentice Thing
Don't Borrow. Steal!
Let's Jump In: Write a Simple 3 Chord Scratch Draft Song
Writing the Music First
The Not-So-Secret Songwriter’s Super Hot Sauce For Success
Guitar Chords and Theory
Rhythm, the Pulse, and Time Signatures
Major and Minor Keys
Writing Chord Progressions
Writing Melodies That Move People
Writing the Words First
What Are You Going To Write About?
Points of View
Types of Songs
Telling Tales: Friction Creates Fiction
Character In Action
The Elements of Song Structure and How To Use Them
Editing and Performance-Proofing Your Song
Building On Your Momentum
8 Steps To Finishing Your Song:
STEP 1: Write Your Song’s Progression
STEP 2: Choose Your Song's Rhythm
STEP 3: Find Your Melody
STEP 4: Write Verses 1 and 2
STEP 5: Write Your Chorus
STEP 6: Write a Bridge
STEP 7: Building Out Your Verses
STEP 8: Editing Your Song
Assignment #1: Let's Write Our First Verse Together
Assignment #2: First Chord Progression
Assignment #3: Sneak Up On It
Assignment #4: Steal Something
Assignment #5: Choose Your Mentor
Assignment: #6: Rhyme-Mapping The Master
Extra | Motivator Videos (for when you need a boost!):
Motivator: Nothing Is Missing
Motivator: Space and Routine
Motivator: Make Time
Motivator: Perfection Doesn't Exist
Motivator: Stick The Landing
Motivator: Fear of Failure
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in songwriting will benefit from taking and completing this course. Whether you're just starting out or you've written any number of songs already, the 7-plus hours of video instruction included here will help you write songs that stand out from the crowd, connect with audiences, and establish your reputation as a serious songwriter on the scene.
After decades of intensive songwriting, recording, and performing, David Rossiter is sharing everything he's learned about crafting indelible songs that move audiences and musicians alike.
Drawing on his experience as founder and leader of the eclectic Americana band Hoodang, as well as ongoing work as a sought-after songwriting and guitar teacher, David brings a deep perspective and passionate commitment to transmitting his joyful and unique approach to the songwriting craft.
Two years in development, David's songwriting curriculum is comprehensive and designed to accelerate your becoming a powerful and productive songwriter, By teaching what matters most, while helping you avoid the pitfalls that line the path to artistic growth and success, David's approach is by turns motivational, hands-on, and focused on results.