Songwriter Pod - Grow your songwriting potential
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 21 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Apply songwriting tasks taught to real students in Metropolis Studios, London
- Achieve step by step lyric tasks and begin to structure your song
- Have a clear understanding of structure and form
- How to look out for strong songwriting themes from everyday life
- Access ongoing lectures and content!
- Desire to write songs and willingness to make use of your imagination!
- You will need a notebook, pen and A4 sheets of paper
- A computer &/or iPad is useful to record your songwriting ideas
- An iPad is also useful for mind mapping and recording apps
- The lessons are in English, but you can apply the principles in ANY language
Learn Strategies Behind The Most Successful Contemporary Lyric and Songwriters
The course has been developed whilst I have been teaching singer songwriters attending London's Metropolis Studios.
Gain tips for planning out your songs, based on songwriting challenges and exercises. Daily practical songwriting tasks - Improve in the space of 5 days!
I’m excited to teach you Contemporary Songwriting having set up the Songwriter Pod. Every single student I have ever taught this material too does something that is unique to them! Real world songwriting students have taken these idea templates and run with them.
Some of their results have been quite great completed songs with strong hooks, an interesting subject matter and a clear structure that means that the song can work with any instrumentation or arrangement style!
The main aim behind this course, and in fact the whole of the Songwriter Pod, is to help songwriters grow creative songwriting ideas and then stabilise that potential as an income stream. I provide you with knowledge, especially for songwriters who wish to write and produce quality music.
- Singers and Musicians
- Music writers, Composers & Producers
- College and University Music Students
- Those wishing to improve their lyric and songwriting skills
- Poets and budding songwriters, who need structure through songwriting tasks
Finding your Unique perspective on contemporary songwriting. Today we work on:
1. Your unique songwriting voice (*Free worksheet included in the resources section for you to print out)
2. Connecting with the listening public
3. The simplistic purpose of music and songwriting
4. Songs that represent people's lives and experience
5. Generating ideas for songs - your first task!
6. Developing your first mind map for songwriting purposes and development in tomorrow's lesson.
7. Non censorship of your ideas in this early stage!
Thinking with a songwriter's perspective. Today we further develop:
1. Our mind maps - developing themes, working titles, language
2. Hooks or "ear worms"!
3. Creative ideas - how to think like a songwriter
4. I share my mind map with you
5. Introduction to the concept of song structure
6. Tips from Hollywood storyline writers
7. A real world excellent song written by an original artist called Katy Hurt
8. Tomorrow's focus: Decide Top 3 song options, develop themes, titles etc.
Song Structure and Songs with Human Interest. Today we do a timed songwriting exercise!
1. Using the emotion, theme and phrases from our mind maps we develop the following:
2. Hook Placement
3. Song Structure
4. Putting flesh on the bones of both structure and title of the song
5. Introduction to the concept of "human interest"
6. Tips from the world of journalism - headlines vs details
7. A timed songwriting exercise
8. Tomorrow's focus: Review the timed songwriting exercise and strengthen using the focus sheet
1. Review of your timed songwriting exercise
2. Using the focus sheet - 11 precise questions to tighten up the details in your song
3. Music or Lyrics first?
4. Increased clarity on the 25 minute songwriting exercise - examining your song through the perspective of the questions on the focus sheet.
5. Quotes from song examples, to demonstrate bullet points from the focus sheet
6. Learning from previous classic song structures to strengthen your songwriting
7. Going back to your list of 10 things that you think make a good song
8. Sharing my top 10 personal elements that I rate as being super important in a song!
1. Well done - you made it to the last episode in this course! You are amazing :-)
2. Going back over mind map of emotions
3. Searching for reference songs
4. The list of Universally Accepted Factors that make a Good Song
5. Aim to write a song every single day, or a complete song once a week!
7. Chord progressions - research song chords & lyrics!
8. Groove & why it affects us...
9. Musical Style
10. Song plot
13. Song sections
16. Song Length
17. I want to hear hear your songs, and enjoy your masterpieces!!!