Song Science #4: Mastering Modulation in your Songwriting
What you'll learn
- Use varying types of modulation in your songwriting
- Release energy in your songs through modulation
- Create contrast in your songs through modulation
- Travel to far away keys and close keys
- Implement relative key, parallel key, and relative-parallel key modulation
- Use sophisticated modulation techniques (common tone, pivot chords, chromatic mediant, etc.)
- See how real hit songs use modulation techniques
- Instrument to write songs on (piano, guitar, etc.)
- Taken previous Song Science courses
- Basic understanding of Music Theory
Modulation can bring energy, intrigue, and prosody to your songs!
Songwriters from Mariah Carey to Taylor Swift to The Beatles have successfully used these techniques!
What is Modulation?
Modulation, simply, is changing from one key to another key within a song.
For example, you can have a Chorus in the Key of E and then when you get to the Bridge you can modulate to the key of C.
How do you know where to Modulate?
Modulation distance is dependent on how similar keys are. In this course you'll learn how to modulate to close keys as well as far away keys.
Additionally there are multiple ways to modulate to another key. In this course you'll learn multiple techniques and be shown real examples of this happening.
Some of these techniques include:
- Relative Key Modulation
- Parallel Key Modulation
- Relative-Parallel Key Modulation
- Pivot Chord Modulation
- Altered Common Chord Modulation
- Common Tone Modulation
- Chromatic Mediant Modulation
And much more!
I look forward to teaching you and I hope to see you in the course!
Who this course is for:
- Beginning level
- Those interested in expanding their songwriting ability by learning modulation
Hi I'm Rob! A full-time musician and teacher in New York City and Los Angeles. I'm passionate about music and education.
I'm the founder of Musicians Inspired, a website dedicated to inspiring musicians to create by teaching them new skills FAST.
I'm also a former music instructor with a Fender Grant winning non-profit and teach privately. My students have ranged from signed recording artists and songwriters to working professionals who just love music.
I'm a bestselling Udemy Instructor and have been teaching since 2015. Many of my courses have been featured on Udemy. I have 60,000+ students and 8,000+ reviews, across 11 courses. I work with other teachers to help them achieve the same success.