Smartphone Cinematography 101: Learn to Shoot Mobile Video
What you'll learn
- The fundamentals of cinematography and visual storytelling (with ANY kind of camera)
- How to turn your smarphone into a professional-quality video camera
- Mobile filmmaking tech and app overviews
- And how to shoot high-quality, cinematic video with your smartphone
- A smartphone and a video camera app. Any device, old or new is fine.
- Please note: We use an iPhone and primarily the FiLMiC Pro app, but it does NOT matter what phone or app you use. This course is about cinematography and smartphone video production, not specific products (although some are demonstrated). If you're looking to learn the FiLMiC Pro app then consider our comprehensive training course "The Complete Guide To FiLMiC Pro" (link at bottom of page).
- This is a beginner's course, so no filmmaking experience is required.
Learn how to turn your smartphone into a professional quality camera and start creating amazing videos & films today.
Real Estate Videos
Promo & Marketing
And a lot more. Whatever you want to make.
- "Your training has greatly improved my quality of filming! And greatly shortened my learning curve!" -Michel H.
- "Highly recommend this course!" -Monty D.
- "Just bought the course and already loving it!" -Michael G.
In this course you'll first learn the fundamentals of cinematography and visual storytelling that applies to using any and all kinds of cameras. Then we explore the technical aspects that make shooting smartphone video different than shooting with traditional cameras. And finally we tie it all together with apps, filmmaking gear and accessories that will help best tell your story.
Covers these topics and more:
Composition & Framing
The Rule of Thirds
Stage Direction (The 180° Rule)
Types of Camera Movement (with real-world examples)
Aperture, ISO and Shutter (for traditional cameras & smartphones)
White Balance & Focus
Smartphone lenses (built-in and third-party)
Video Camera Apps (our favorites)
Cinematic Mode (shoot with blurry backgrounds on a phone)
Third-Party Filmmaking Gear & Accessories (tripod mounts, gimbals, dollies, lighting, ND filters and a lot more)
And please note this course will be routinely updated whenever there are new app & tech advancements that are necessary to include!
The best thing is once you learn the basic principles of cinematography (composition, framing & lighting) those skills will stay with you forever and can be used regardless of the kind of camera (including smartphones) you shoot with in the future.
Don't wait to create! Start today and unlock the potential of the amazing camera you carry in your pocket.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners to intermediate... indie filmmakers, YouTubers, mobile journalists, corporate video producers, social media creators, etc.
- Anyone wanting to learn the fundamentals of cinematography and smartphone video production (and mobile filmmaking)
- The lessons in this course will apply to any and all kinds of productions, but note that many of the examples presented are from movie & TV style projects
- Also, this course is NOT your normal "lecture" style course where an instructor just talks and talks and talks to the camera but rarely shows anything. This course is all about hands-on demonstrations along with "How To" instruction throughout. And students can ask questions at any time via comments on the lessons
The Mobile Filmmaking Academy is part of the iPhoneographers' popular YouTube channel and website. We make online filmmaking courses, tutorials, gear reviews, how-to videos, short films, and more including FiLMiC Pro LUT packs for color grading. We were founded by award-winning filmmaker Blake Calhoun and have been creating content with FiLMiC Pro since 2012.