Smart Tips: Project Management & Agile
What you'll learn
- Apply pro techniques on the job immediately to succeed as both contributors and leaders in the wild world of projects
- Speak the language used by professional project managers worldwide
- Confidently speak about Agile and why it’s not just for tech people
- Identify the major elements required for Scrum to work well
- Navigate the complex Project Management Institute (PMI) gold standard process in project management with ease
- Determine which certification is right for you (or not!)
- No project management or agile experience needed.
If you have been assigned to a project at work or if you are an ambitious person, this course is for you!
Why? Because at some point or another every professional is asked to be part of a project or lead one as the project manager. But the world of projects is completely different than the world of operations and theory is very different than practice.
“Excellent course. Short, and straight to the point presentation. Easy to follow with lots of nuggets. Highly recommended.” ~ Mark M.
Projects are unchartered, intense terrain, which I call: Projectland.
Consider me your tour guide through the intense terrain of Projectland. I will share strategies and practical techniques to help you navigate and succeed in your own version of Projectland. By the end, you will be able to decide for yourself if navigating Projectland is scary or exciting. You’ll learn to think more like a professional project manager, equipped to assess and respond to project risk, so that you can deliver results.
“I've taken graduate level project management courses at University of Chicago. So, I have a good foundation. Dawn's style and examples provide real world and practical tools to build on that foundation. I stepped away from managing projects for several years. This course rekindled the interest and makes me look forward to the challenges again.” ~ Mary Kay C.
You will also be introduced to the project manager role, so that you can decide whether it is a good fit for you. If not, you can direct your career to be more suited to your strengths.
In this course, you will gain skills in planning, leading and delivering successful projects, which will help you to accomplish more, stress less, impress your boss and achieve your career goals.
The “Smart Tips” format is a little different than other courses, because all of the lessons are about 5 minutes or less and offer practical action tips for you to apply immediately on the job. Because the lessons are “bite-sized,” they are easy to fit into your busy schedule, whether that is before your next meeting, waiting for your morning beverage to brew or when you pick the wrong line at the grocery store!
What will you learn?
1. What a project is and what it is not, so that you can know which work on your plate will benefit from project management techniques
2. Who is in Projectland including what the boss of a project is called, a deep dive into the project manager role and an introduction to different kinds of team members
3. Who stakeholders are, how to think about them and make sure they don’t sabotage your project
4. Tips for running great meetings in Projectland, because you simply can’t be a great project manager without this skill
5. What a successful project is and how to set your project up for success at the start, including one simple technique every project leader MUST do in the beginning
6. How to choose the right project management process to organize your project and move it smoothly from idea to done
7. How to leverage best practices that professional project managers use including the schedule, budget, scope, resources, quality, risks and issues
8. An introduction to four popular flavors of Agile, including Scrum players, ceremonies and artifacts
9. Why agile can be used beyond information technology projects INCLUDING by a six-year-old
10. An introduction to popular project management and agile professional organizations, including a deep dive about the Project Management Institute (PMI), their certifications, and how you can learn their complex, global gold standard through storytelling and gamification
What people are saying:
"Clear, concise, and funny!" ~ Rachel M
“Excellent course. I am mentoring someone now as they consider a project management career path and will highly recommend this course.” ~June N
“For those who aren't all that familiar with project management principles, this is a fantastic overview. So many clear definitions, real-world scenarios to tie them to and action items so you can put things into practice. Great course!” ~ Rebecca J
“Excellent course. Not only very good tips but key project management basics. Nice format, nice presentation (besides excellent quality videos) with practical downloadable resources and tools. Fully recommended!” ~ Juan R
“I was a complete newbie to project management and this was just what I needed.” ~Aivars G
A PwC study of over 10,640 projects found that only 2.5% of companies complete their projects 100% successfully. This course is full of practical tips that will help you improve your chances of being part of that tiny top 2.5%. Since initiatives or projects are formed because results are expected, NOT delivering can quickly become detrimental to your career. On the flip side, doing a great job on projects can boost your visibility and be a great opportunity to accelerate your standing in any organization.
I am so excited about this course, because after teaching and coaching thousands of ambitious professionals around the world, leading a new Project Management Office in the Fortune 500, advising top executives and spending over 20 years in Projectland, I know that a quick video series that professionals could learn from and secretly lean on as a refresher is incredibly valuable.
Are you ready to get to the next level in your career and have fun doing it? Enroll today!
Who this course is for:
- Novice project managers and team leaders with little to no formal, practical project management training
- Experienced project managers and team leaders looking for a refresher
- Managers, mentors, consultants and coaches looking for a simple way to explain complex project management concepts that work in the real world
- Busy, ambitious professionals with a desire to improve their value on the job and ready to efficiently lead projects from “idea” to “done
Dawn Mahan, PMP, is an award-winning consultant and international speaker in project management. She invented the ProjectFlo® Project Management Process Learning System using gamification, design thinking and storytelling to make learning the Project Management Institute's (PMI) complex global gold standard process fast and fun.
Dawn has trained thousands of ambitious professionals around the world in the art and science of leading projects, coined the term "Projectland" and is a trusted advisor to top executives. She is the Founder & CEO of PMOtraining, LLC and its new divisions, Project Guru Academy and The Project Gurus. Look for her upcoming book Meet the Players in Projectland: Decide the Right Project Roles & Get People On Board. Her work with preparing YearUp students for internships in major corporations has been featured in MarketWatch, Morningstar, Yahoo! Finance and publications worldwide.
Dawn also enjoys volunteering. She is a former American Lung Association’s Philadelphia Leadership Board Chair, has built houses in Cambodia with Habitat for Humanity and has been a featured speaker at International Women’s Flag Football Association (IWFFA) events.
When she’s not in Projectland, you can usually find her in Philadelphia or the Florida Keys.