SkyCiv Structural Engineering for Students: Structural Steel
- Statics/Structural Analysis
- Interest in Structural Engineering Analysis and Design
- Chrome or Firefox Browser
- Familiarity with Steel as a structural building material in the United States
SkyCiv Structural Engineering for Students: Structural Steel will either re-enforce topics you have learned in class or help you grasp new ones that aren't covered. One of the main goals of the course is to use real examples to help you bridge the gap from college coursework to the industry, as well as expose you to topics that aren't usually covered in undergraduate curriculum. If you have never been used structural engineering software, this course will give you a great idea of the ideal workflows used in practice through the use of the SkyCiv platform.
If you want to work alongside the examples in this course as well as the other courses, you can complete the majority of tasks with a SkyCiv Student Account, which you can sign up for directly from the SkyCiv website.
The main component of this course includes walking through the 3D modeling, loading, and analysis of a 3 dimensional warehouse structure, all with the SkyCiv software suite. At the end of the analysis phase of the project, there will be a “What’s Next?” section of lectures that will go through and expose you to steel connection design in accordance with AISC 360 using the Connection Design module. The features used in those lectures are not available with a SkyCiv Student account.
To continue building your structural engineering knowledge in SkyCiv, make sure to check out other FREE courses in this series:
SkyCiv Structural Engineering for Students
SkyCiv Structural Engineering for Students: Reinforced Concrete
Join us in learning how to use the SkyCiv platform to enhance and expand your current structural engineering knowledge!
Who this course is for:
- Civil or Structural Engineering students trying to learn how to model and use structural engineering software
- Civil or Structural Engineering students trying to learn more about structural engineering industry workflow
- Civil or Structural Engineering students interested in underlying theoretical principles of structural analysis (FEA, Fixity, etc)
- Civil or Structural Engineering students wanting to learn how to use SkyCiv
- Civil or Structural Engineering students trying to learn about structural analysis types
- Civil or Structural Engineering students curious about steel connection and member design
- 02:11Introduction to the Course
- 07:18Intro and Modeling the Base Structure
- 07:38Finish Modeling and Adding Supports
- 05:42Material and Section Application (Part 1)
- 06:01Material and Section Application (Part 2)
- 02:50Determining Self-weight and Live Load
- 07:19Applying the Vertical Loads
- 08:23Wind Load Generation (MWFRS)
- 09:23Wind Load Application
- 05:32Load Cases and Combinations
- 07:59First Solve and Results
- 03:57Theory: P-Delta and Buckling Analysis
- 06:10Non-Linear Analysis and Reporting
- 05:53(Optional) What's Next? Connection Design - Intro and Setup (Part 1)
- 05:46(Optional) What's Next? Connection Design - Input and 3D Render (Part 2)
- 05:25(Optional) What's Next? Connection Design - Reporting (Part 3)
SkyCiv is a new and exciting cloud based Structural Analysis and Design software. The software is powerful, easy to use and since it's online, there is nothing to download or install!
SkyCiv has put together a range of Udemy courses to help students and professional engineers excel in their industry and learn the software and skills they need to succeed.
All courses are free, so we hope you enjoy!
B.S. of Civil Engineering w/ Structural Emphasis grad from UW-Madison. After a couple of years working as a Structural Engineer-in-Training, I wanted to learn more about the software side of the industry. From there I was given an opportunity at my current workplace, SkyCiv Engineering, to use my industry knowledge to help bridge the gap between our software developers at the back end and the structural engineer at the front end.
My goal is to teach and inform undergraduate Civil or Structural Engineering students about fundamental principles in Structural Engineering through the use of a variety of media, including the SkyCiv software platform.
SkyCiv Structural Engineering for Students is a great series of courses because it will either re-enforce topics you have learned in class or help you grasp new ones that aren't covered. The goal of the course is to use real examples to help you bridge the gap from college coursework to the industry, as well as expose you to topics that aren't usually covered in undergraduate curriculum, such as concrete foundation and steel connection design.