Sketchbook Secrets - the art of sketching
What you'll learn
- Find out why a sketchbook is such a valuable tool for an artist
- Learn what materials and sketchbooks are best for you
- See how to use a sketchbook in a wide variety of ways to improve your painting skills
- Use a sketchbook to record the world around you
- No sketching experience is need - this course will inspire you to get going!
I want to inspire you and encourage you to start using a sketchbook, which is one of the best ways to rapidly improve your art and develop your skills. A sketchbook will soon become your new best friend as you use it to record the world around you and capture those precious moments.
In this course I will guide you through what I think are the best materials to use and I'll show you various methods for sketching and also various creative ways to use a sketchbook. We will work in pencil, pen, pen and wash, and watercolor. Watch over my shoulder as I paint and sketch and explain how to get the best from your materials.
The course is in three Sections and has 26 videos.
1. Introduction to using a sketchbook: Here I give you some ideas about the different ways in which you can use a sketchbook. I cover everything from sketching on holiday to planning paintings, to finding freedom and your style, to beating painter's block, and more. In this section I also hope to inspire you to become more creative in your art.
2. Materials and equipment. I show you a selection of the most useful materials and show you how to get the best from them. There is everything from sketchbooks, pencils, pens, watercolors and gouache, to handmade easels and mini painting kits.
3. Sketching in the great outdoors. I show you several ways to simplify and get the best from plein air sketching, including what to sketch, how to capture the essence of the scene, painting shadows and not chasing the sun, and how to paint buildings and people quickly and easily. I also explain the importance of making value plans.
Most of all I want to excite you about the adventure you will go on as you regularly use a sketchbook. I truly believe it will transform your art - I know it has transformed mine!
All the materials and equipment you need is described in the course, so don't go shopping until you see what I recommend and what may be the best choice for you.
Who this course is for:
- Any aspiring artist, painter or creative person can benefit from using a sketchbook, so why not begin here!
I have taught painting for many years, both in adult education classes and also over the internet. Through my online courses I have taught thousands of people to paint since 2005. I have lead a number of painting holidays in the UK and overseas, write regularly for Leisure Painter magazine in the UK, and for a short time I was an instructor with Derwent Pencils. For five years I worked in ceramics, painting large tiled wall murals to commission.
I am originally from England, but now live in southern Spain with my lovely wife and two dogs.
My interest in painting goes back to my childhood, and I have learned throughout my life the skills and ideas that have kept me in employment and which I now hope to pass on to you. I love working in watercolors and gouache, and also in oils and acrylics. Each of these requires a different way of working, but I always aim to keep my paintings lively and fresh. I always want to convey something of the heart to anyone looking at my paintings.
The exercises and painting projects in my courses have all been thoroughly tested over time and proved to work well, and I am constantly amazed at the speed at which students improve. I hope you enjoy learning with me!