Simple Gothic Hand Calligraphy
What you'll learn
- Write in a beautiful Gothic Hand calligraphy that can be used for gifts and greeting cards, poems and letters, or simply for personal satisfaction.
- Use the easy and pleasant artistic activity calligraphy as a near-meditative experience!
- Embellish your daily life with beautiful hand-drawn letters.
- Grab a 3 mm pen nib, a pen-holder and some ink ... or if you don't have that, a calligraphy marker or fountain pen with a broad nib will also do the job.
- Print the practice sheets on good quality printer paper.
Follow the lessons to
learn how to insert the nib into your holder ;
comprehend how to get the ink to flow from your pen ;
understand letter weight and proportion ;
befriend those oh-so-necessary guidelines ;
master the ductus (that's the "recipe" to follow for learning each letter).
draw each letter of the alphabet, first the lowercase letters, then the uppercase. The letters are not demonstrated in alphabetical order; they are presented to you in groups of similar letters ;
plan and execute a project with a short text.
Using a 3 mm Brause nib (or similar) and ink will give you the most "authentic" experience, but of course you can use calligraphy markers or cartridge pens with a calligraphic nib if you prefer.
Some of the benefits of doing calligraphy are:
calligraphy is yoga-for-the-soul. In doing calligraphy, you set aside some time for yourself, and you will feel great for it ;
calligraphy contributes to neuroplasticity —which basically means that, while teaching your (old) brain new tricks, you are creating new pathways in your brain and paving the way to sharper neurological skills;
embellishing your daily life with beautiful letters. . Creating beauty of any sort is a wonderful thing to do !
Several downloadable documents are included (practice sheets, letter reference sheets ...).
Calligraphy is not just a pleasant artistic activity, it is almost a meditative experience!
Grab your pen and paper, and come along on this calligraphic journey!
Who this course is for:
- No previous calligraphy experience is required. You'll just need a little perseverance and some practice time!
- You don't need to have any artistic talents! All you need is a desire to learn ...
If you believe in reincarnation, I must have been a monk-scribe in a former life! How else can this love for hand-drawn letters be explained?
As a fashion designer-in-training, calligraphy was an option I took in my final year. Since then, practising and teaching the art of beautiful writing has been one of my major occupations.
For more than twenty years, I have been giving calligraphy courses to adults and children in the south of France, where I now reside. I particularly like working in places steeped in medieval history (like the Chartreuse at Villeneuve lez Avignon) or in classrooms where kids are positively insatiable when it comes to learning to use pen and ink or other traditional tools such as the calame.
Online classes are now the main activity of the non-profit group that I preside.