Electrical Design Bootcamp - LV Power Calculations
What you'll learn
- To download, install and register Simaris Design and Simaris Curves with tips on what to pay attention to
- About the interface, workspace, all the sections, various settings etc.
- To create a basic single line diagram and prepare the project documentation (various lists (cables, consumers, device settings, short ciruit current) etc.
- To create an advanced single line diagram and perform power calculations
- To dimension cables correctly - with important things to take into consideration
- To dimension cable correctly when incorporating variable frequency drives (harmonic content)
- Various tips to prepare the single line diagram for the delivery to the customer
- Save time by immediately start to learn the best program, not like me to spend years in the research
- Student needs to be understand the basics of power calculations, but it's not critical
*** UPDATES ***
- September 23, 2019 - Captions in English (EDITED, not auto-generated).
I welcome you to my tutorial about low voltage power calculations using Simaris Design and Simaris Curves from Siemens.
Planning of an automation project and the electrical wiring on that project starts with power calculations. This is one of the first steps I take when I start to work on a new automation system - I plan and dimension my low voltage power system.
I've tried years ago different software from all the biggest manufacturers and concluded that Simaris Design is, according to my experience, by far the best one out there to quickly setup a project, create single line diagrams and output all the possible documents that one needs when performing power calculations (project documentation, different list in Excel, e.g. busbar, cable, device settings, selectivity documentation etc., single line diagrams in PDF and i DWG/DXF).
Language support is great, meaning that you can set your workspace and the single line diagram to the language of your choice. The same goes for the output documentation.
When creating single line diagrams in Simaris Design the devices you use are grouped into three categories:
· System infeed: (transformer with primary and secondary side, transformer only with secondary side, coupling to use when you have also emergency power supply, like a diesel aggregate (generator) etc.)
· Distribution boards: (with busbars, without busbar, sub-distribution boards etc.)
· Final circuits: (electrical consumers) ranging from general devices, motors (including DOL, softstarter, reverse-duty and frequency converter), power outlets up to special dummy loads. You even have a possibility to insert a charging unit for electric cars. Talking about awesomeness :)
I definitely highly recommend this software to all of you who work in the electrical engineering field. Even if you don't enroll in my course, I recommend that you invest some time to get to know this program. It's worth it.
I've been using Simaris for years now on many different project across industries and it has always served me well.
One of the last project where I had to do some serious dimensioning of my protection devices and cables was a one from the refrigeration industry.
We had about 715 A of current consumption in our cabinet. Total of 3 power enclosures and 1 PLC enclosure.
In one of the cabinets I had to design a power distribution system for two softstarters to power two screw compressors. One of them 160kW and the other 132 kW. Not to mention that in the area where we had to install our cabinets and pull all the cables the temperature goes up to 38 °C in summer. So I had to be very careful when dimensioning the cables. And we did it! We commissioned the system this summer in July and everything went in perfect order (talking about the worst case scenario - summertime).
Simaris Design has been a great companion during the dimensioning and in general electrical design on this project.
I hope you will enjoy working your way through my course on Simaris Design and I hope you will learn a lot.
Don't forget to have fun on the way!
Your Instructor for Electrical Design,
Who this course is for:
- Students of electrical engineering
- Electricians, Engineers, Technicians
- Maintenance department in factories when planning new investments in production
- Construction site engineers to quickly plan and dimension their low voltage installation
- Engineering offices when desinging new electrical and automation systems
- Anyone who needs ocasional dimensioning of their low voltage installations
Hallo - Привет - 你好 - Cześć - Oi - آلو! - हलो - Hello
Ivan is a graduated electrical engineer with more than 9 years of experience in the professional design of various industrial electrical and automation systems (production lines, industrial machines).
Since 2016 working as a freelancer.
Professional experience from different industries, for example Oil & Energy, Food & Beverages, dairy factories, chemical industry, Automotive( car body manufacturing - Karosserierohbau and industrial paint shops - Lackieranlagen)
International working experience (Germany, Norway, Sweden, Russia, China).
His courses cover the following topics:
- Electrical design of Industrial automation systems
- Electrical design tools and examples: creation of professional wiring diagrams for industrial automation projects, power calculations, heat dissipation calculations, overviews of real-life projects he has worked on. And much, much more.
If designing of industrial power, control and safety systems is your thing, then you've come to the right place.
Let's prosper together!
With kind regards,
Your Instructor for Electrical Design,
Please note that this instructor is not a certified trainer for EPLAN products nor EPLAN partner.
Video courses presented under this instructor's profile that are demonstrating how to work in Eplan Electric P8 computer program are solely the work of this instructor and are not endorsed nor approved nor certified by the manufacturer of the aforementioned computer program. This instructor also does not sell EPLAN products nor this instructor is an official representative of EPLAN company or EPLAN products.
For the purchase of the aforementioned computer program and/or for official training on how to use this computer program and/or for official certification and/or for official support contact the owner/manufacturer of the aforementioned computer program which is:
EPLAN Software & Service GmbH & Co. KG, An der alten Ziegelei 2, DE - 40789 Monheim am Rhein