SHOKUPAN / Japanese Milk Bread / Bread Baking 101
What you'll learn
- This course is for those who want to learn to bake the best SHOKUPAN (=Japanese milk bread) at home.
- This is a course that covers all over the basic bread baking skills, not only about SHOKUPAN.
- Understand why Japanese SHOKUPAN is so special.
- How to bake a perfect loaf of SHOKUPAN bread.
- Why it's important to weigh ingredients?
- What are the ingredients for bread?
- How to bake a perfect SHOKUPAN each and every time.
- Know the difference between the types of flour
- Know the difference between the types of yeast
- Know the fermentation process
- How to calculate the bread dough to fit your pan
- Understanding "Bakers percentage."
- No-knead or Well-knead. Which is good?
- Straight-dough method or Sponge-dough method. Which is good?
- Gas oven (with fan-assistant), or Electric oven. What's the difference?
- What is the Cold-Start Baking Method?
- How to enjoy your slice of SHOKUPAN.
- Know the history of Japanese bread
- How to hand knead and turn it into a Full body excercise!
- And more!
- Entry level baking skills.
This is the best SHOKUPAN （Japanese Milk Bread）baking course for BEGINNERS who have no idea to bake bread.
SHOKUPAN is the most eaten bread in Japan, fluffy but bouncy and so moist.
You'll be surprised how tasty it is, and your kitchen will be full of wonderful baking smells.
In this course, you will first learn the basics of bread baking.
And also, you can learn a lot from the downloadable E-book "everything you need to know about SHOKUPAN."
Next, you'll move onto baking Beginner's SHOKUPAN.
It is going to be an easy one; it's at 66% hydration, which means not that sticky and pretty easy to handle.
Once you've learned a basic SHOKUPAN making process, you will be ready to move on to 72% hydration SHOKUPAN.
When you have finished this course, you will have the confidence to bake a perfect SHOKUPAN.
And also, you will be ready for more advanced bread baking.
My name is Akino; I am a YouTuber who specializes in Japanese baking and Cooking.
Thank you so much for stopping by on my SHOKUPAN baking course.
I am so happy to have you here.
I have run a pastry shop for more than 20 years, and I used to teach at my baking class for 15 years before YouTube.
In this course, you will learn how to bake a perfect SHOKUPAN, the most popular bread video on my YouTube channel.
I make this course because I have received so many questions about how to bake perfect SHOKUPAN. Those questions are mostly from beginners and also from professional bakers who want to open the SHOKUPAN bakery in their country.
So I decided to put each and every question together and make a detailed SHOKUPAN course here on Udemy.
I can't wait to start the lesson.
Let's get started!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for BEGINNERS who want to learn basic baking skills.
- This course is for BEGINNERS who have no experience in bread baking.
- This course is for those who want to learn to bake the best SHOKUPAN at home.
- This course is for those who wants to bake fluffy and soft Japanese SHOKUPAN.
- This course is for the serious home baker who has never worked with high hydration dough and wants to learn how.
Author, YouTuber, Recipe developer, former owner-chef of a pastry shop. Baseball mom, and cat mom (Alex the Russian Blue Cat)
In 2004, I opened my small pastry shop in Nara, the oldest palace city in Japan. ( known for wild dears walk freely around the city center.)
Aside from running my pastry shop, I used to teach at my baking class for more than 15 years.
I know exactly how and when students make mistakes from my long-term experiences.
In 2016, one of my friends asked me to give a Wagashi (Japanese sweets) lesson for international students in English.
Japan had grown as the fastest tourism country at that time.
I said YES, and I started learning English to watch YouTube cooking show 8 hours a day for a month.
I was an English major, and I worked for a multi-national company for seven years. But I teach only Japanese students, I had no vocabulary in Cooking.
The lesson went successfully, I felt relieved, but I felt something is missing.
I thought I don't want to waste my time learning English.
So I decided to start my own YouTube channel, "Kitchen Princess Bamboo."
Soon enough, my channel grows, and I became swamped. I had no time to run my pastry shop.
In March 2019, I transferred my pastry business to a social welfare association to develop the local community. (I am still in the business as a consultant.)
Now that I am spending my time developing recipes to make them simpler and more accessible for home bakers.
I want to share my experience and knowledge that I accumulate over the years.
And yes, you can learn how to bake the best Shokupan in the world in your own kitchen!
I upload a video every Saturday at 23:00 JST (PST 6:00, EST 10:00) on my channel, it's not always about baking, but it might help improve your baking skills.