Understanding Codependent Behaviors in Wounded Relationships
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Distinguish between the two internal tanks that affect our sense of worthiness and competence
- Understand the Shame Cycle Two Step
- Learn the types of individuals to whom emotionally wounded adults are attracted
- Recognize the characteristics of codependent behaviors
- Identify steps that can be taken to minimize codependent behaviors
- Students are recommended to have already taken https://www.udemy.com/sexual-addiction-101-part-one/ and https://www.udemy.com/sexual-addiction-and-recovery-101-part-2/
In this course, we explore the concept of codependency and how it relates to sexual addiction. Individuals in relationships with addicts often find themselves dealing with unhealthy behaviors as a way of trying to connect with their loved one. The consequence is that the relationship continues to become more and more strained.
Students will identify two ways in which individuals deal with the loss of connection and acceptance. The course is primarily lecture based. A questionnaire about codependency and a list of reading materials to learn more will be provided within the course.
If you or a loved one is affected by addiction in your relationship, this course will help you to have a better understanding of steps that can be taken to begin the healing process.
- This course is designed for individuals who are interested in learning more about the ramifications of sexual addiction as it relates to individuals in relationships. It explores how both partners are affected in the relationship by developing codependent behaviors. This course covers basic information about codependency. Individuals who are looking for a deeper and more comprehensive understanding of codependency would likely look to other courses for that content.
Students will learn about the two tanks of Love/Belonging and Competency/Empowerment and how this affects the way we interact with others. Students will take a look at how full or empty their own tanks are and contemplate how that affects them and their loved ones.
Students will learn that engaging in codependent behaviors is based in shame. Codependency is a disease of lost self. If we are not validated and affirmed for who over time, we eventually come to believe we are not worthy or lovable. As a consequence, we then become more and more dependent on others as a way of trying to get them to fill up our love and belonging tanks.
Students will learn that we are actually attracted to individuals who almost promote our engagement in codependent behaviors as a way of trying to resolve wounds of the past.
Students will explore ways in which co-dependency can be overcome including:
- Recognize that you are using these behaviors to cope with woundedness.
- Understand that co-dependent behaviors are based in shame.
- Read as much about co-dependency as you can
- Seek counseling from a licensed and qualified therapist who is familiar with co-dependency
- Join a group that focuses on co-dependency recovery
- Practice mindfulness and self compassion
- Be aware of the shadows of shame and how they undermine your ability to see your worth
- Acknowledging and embracing all their feelings of betrayal and hurt
- Increase understanding addiction and codependency
- Establishing safety and personal integrity
- Developing the mind-body-spirit connection
- Learn the pattern of how both partners engage in co-dependent behaviors