Service Parts Supply Chains: An Introduction.
- There are no requirements to enroll beyond having a business interest in learning about Supply Chains and Service Parts in particular.
FULL COURSE DESCRIPTION
Spare parts have been around since humans invented things that break and need to be replaced. Service parts supply chains deliver spare parts management as a service. They are an integral part of any hardware based operation, regardless of the industry in question, that do not always get the attention they deserve. Service Parts must be delivered to the customer, and faulty units must often be returned in order to be repaired or otherwise processed. Therefore this area of Supply Chain Management is especially fascinating as it faces challenges from a forward as well as a reverse logistics perspective.
In this course you will learn the basic operational principles of service parts supply chains:
What they are, their key functions, and how they fit into supply chains in general.
The drivers behind the decision to outsource service parts to an external service provider.
The main steps involved in preparing for the delivery of the service, from contract analysis, to logistic design, through to system modeling and inventory dimensioning.
The approach to service implementation and how service delivery and operations works, including order intake, warehousing and distribution, and repair.
How to go about managing a service parts supply chain, covering strategy, demand and supply integration, or cost management.
A glimpse into the new technologies that are already making their way into service parts supply chains around the world.
The course includes three .pdf files with an overview of service preparation, service delivery and operations, and managing the service parts supply chain. You can download these files for your archives, and to keep the big picture in mind as we explore each section.
Who this course is for:
- Business and Supply Chain Management students interested in getting a practical understanding of Service Parts Supply Chains.
- Supply Chain professionals who would like to take a closer look at the idiosyncrasies of Service Parts.
- Anyone curious about the general principles behind spare parts management, and how they end up in the hands of technicians that work in the field, fixing anything from a Radio Base Station, to the crankshaft of a car, or the wifi router in your home.
- 01:55Welcome and Course Structure
- 03:41Introduction to Supply Chains
- 03:19Service Parts Supply Chains
- 04:47The Question of Outsourcing
- 2 questionsIntroduction Quiz
With 25+ years in the Information and Communication Technology industry, including 10+ years dedicated to Service Parts, I have developed a love of Supply Chain in general. It is a tremendously fulfilling experience to define a service delivery strategy and to witness it come to fruition in front of your very eyes. The future of Supply Chain is no less fascinating, with Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Blockchain technologies offering amazing possibilities.
During my years as a leader, I have learned to recognize the value that knowledge and competence development add to organizations and individuals. Visualizing complex concepts and crafting a clear and structured story around them is a powerful way to bring knowledge across to an audience.
My goal is to share knowledge with individuals and companies, and in the process support improvements in competence, efficiency, organization, and delivery strategy for Service Parts Supply Chains.