The Self-Taught Programmer
What you'll learn
- Start to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
- Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
- Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, and regular expressions. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
- Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Finish with best coding practices, tips for working with a team, and advice on landing your first programming job.
- This course assumes you have no prior programming knowledge. It is for beginners!
- All you need to get started is a computer. Any computer will do!
I am a self-taught programmer. After a year of self-study, I learned to program well enough to land a job as a software engineer II at eBay. Once I got there, I realized I was severely under-prepared. I was overwhelmed by the amount of things I needed to know but hadn't learned yet. My journey learning to program, and my experience at my first job as a software engineer were the inspiration for this course.
This course is not just about learning to program; although you will learn to code. If you want to program professionally, it is not enough to learn to code; that is why, in addition to helping you learn to program, I also cover the rest of the things you need to know to program professionally that classes and books don't teach you. The Self-taught Programmer is a roadmap, a guide to take you from writing your first Python program, to passing your first technical interview. I divided the course into five sections:
1. Learn to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
2. Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
3. Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, regular expressions and databases. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
4. Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
5. Finish with tips for working with a team and landing a programming job.
You CAN learn to program professionally. The path is there. Will you take it?
Who this course is for:
- New programmers.
- Anyone that wants to learn how to go from a complete beginner to a software engineer.
- Anyone that wants to learn to program to improve their career!
Cory Althoff is an author, programmer, and speaker. He is best known for his book The Self-Taught Programmer, which has been published in seven languages and introduced the term "self-taught programmer" into the common lexicon. Book Authority named The Self-Taught Programmer one of the greatest programming books of all time, and The Next Web listed it as one of the ten books that will help you become a better software engineer. Over 200K developers are part of the self-taught programmer community he created through his popular Facebook group, blog, newsletter, and Udemy course. In 2019, Cory gave the opening keynote speech at Pycon JP. Cory lives in the Bay Area with his wife and daughter.