The Self-Taught Programmer
What you'll learn
- Start to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
- Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
- Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, and regular expressions. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
- Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Finish with best coding practices, tips for working with a team, and advice on landing your first programming job.
- This course assumes you have no prior programming knowledge. It is for beginners!
- All you need to get started is a computer. Any computer will do!
I am a self-taught programmer. After a year of self-study, I learned to program well enough to land a job as a software engineer II at eBay. Once I got there, I realized I was severely under-prepared. I was overwhelmed by the amount of things I needed to know but hadn't learned yet. My journey learning to program, and my experience at my first job as a software engineer were the inspiration for this course.
This course is not just about learning to program; although you will learn to code. If you want to program professionally, it is not enough to learn to code; that is why, in addition to helping you learn to program, I also cover the rest of the things you need to know to program professionally that classes and books don't teach you. The Self-taught Programmer is a roadmap, a guide to take you from writing your first Python program, to passing your first technical interview. I divided the course into five sections:
1. Learn to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
2. Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
3. Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, regular expressions and databases. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
4. Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
5. Finish with tips for working with a team and landing a programming job.
You CAN learn to program professionally. The path is there. Will you take it?
Who this course is for:
- New programmers.
- Anyone that wants to learn how to go from a complete beginner to a software engineer.
- Anyone that wants to learn to program to improve their career!
Cory Althoff is a programmer, speaker, and author whose work includes The Self-Taught Programmer and The Self-Taught Computer Scientist. After graduating with a major in political science, Cory taught himself to program, eventually becoming a software engineer at eBay. Cory's books have been translated into eight languages, and he has appeared in publications like Forbes and CNBC. Over 250K developers are part of the self-taught programmer community he created through his popular Facebook group, blog, course, and newsletter. Cory lives in California with his wife and daughter.