Self-Publishing Primer: Basic steps for new writers.
- 29 mins on-demand video
- 4 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Get comfortable using Microsoft Word to prepare your manuscript. You'll learn how to set up your title, chapter headings and create a table of contents. Next, you'll understand why writing for market demand is different from creative writing and lastly you'll get a good primer on using Photoshop for your covers.
- Students will need their own copy of Microsoft Word. Photoshop is also recommended, but is not required.
Do you have a book inside of you? Most people do! The problem is getting that book out and onto the page - and not just onto the page; but also out into the global marketplace.
Where do you start?
Can you really self publish your own book?
This course provides an excellent introduction for anyone who may be toying with the idea of not just writing a book but taking the next step and actually publishing it.
It's easier than you think!
Perhaps you like to write short stories, poetry or maybe you even have a novel in progress that never seems to get finished. You've found the right course to finally get your writing out into the market where it belongs.
This course will show you a simple method to format your manuscript using MS Word so that you can upload it directly to the Amazon KDP and Amazon CreateSpace Marketplace.
You will also see how you can make a quality book cover using Photoshop in 5 minutes flat! Where to get royalty free graphics that you can use with no attribution required - even for commercial use.
This short course can be completed in just a couple of hours. 30 minutes of video and several text based lectures. The three sections of the course covers:
- 1 How to use MS Word to format a manuscript that will be accepted by Amazon.
- 2 Evaluating the self-publishing opportunity. My strategy for approaching the self-publishing opportunity.
- 3 Using Photoshop to make free book covers quickly and easily.
Take the next step, enroll now and get yourself in gear! Learn to self-publish for fun and profit today. An easy introduction to a great work from home opportunity!
- This course is oriented towards beginners who are really not sure yet what self publishing is all about or whether there is an opportunity to make an income from writing.
Different versions of Microsoft Word. Setting your font size, paragraph, and line spacing. Creating your title page and copyright page. How to insert page breaks. How to insert your copyright symbol.
Navigating through your document. Creating a table of contents with or without page numbers.
Correct indentation. Changing text font and colour. Adjusting paragraph settings. Modifying headings.
Using Photoshop can be easy if you are patient and follow a few simple instructions. When I first started using Photoshop I was sooo frustrated! But after studying a few tutorials I realized that it can be quite simple once you learn the different functions. Like riding a bicycle, once you learn, you will never forget!
So we've learned the basics of using Microsoft Word in section 1.
In section 2 we discussed the self-publishing opportunity and asked ourselves a few pointed questions as to whether this may be a good opportunity for us.
Lastly in section 3 we looked at making covers quickly and easily using Photoshop.
I was in the same place you are right now! A short time ago, I was wondering if I should try my hand at self publishing and I am so glad I did!
You can do it! Don't give up and enjoy the journey!