Cyber Security For Normal People: Protect Yourself Online
What you'll learn
- Become aware of the most common cyber security threats
- Develop the right mindset and browsing habits for security
- Secure your smartphone and all the information it knows about you
- Easily create and manage strong, unique passwords for all of your accounts
- Use two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your accounts
- Use encryption to make your private data unreadable to attackers
- You should be comfortable using your computer and smartphone
- No prior security experience required—this is a beginner-level course
This course is an actionable, step-by-step beginner's guide to locking hackers, identity thieves, and cyber criminals out of your life once and for all.
Today's reality is yesterday's science fiction.
You can have a real-time video conversation with someone on the other side of the planet, you can send and receive money without even taking out your wallet, and you can post content online that reaches millions of people in a matter minutes.
Unfortunately, the same technology that enables all this new freedom and convenience also exposes us to new security threats that we've never encountered.
Malware that infects your computer and watches everything you do, phishing scams that steal private information from millions of people—today's digital world is a criminal's playground. It makes the process of stealing money or even stealing someone's entire identity way more efficient.
The worst part? You are a target.
Many people neglect taking steps to protect themselves online because they think, "Why would anyone want to steal my information?"
Well, for starters, if you have any money to your name at all, there are plenty of tech-savvy criminals out there who are patiently waiting for the opportunity to take it from you.
Beyond that, they can also steal your identity to run up charges on your credit cards, open new utility accounts, get medical treatment using your health insurance, or take advantage of your friends and family by impersonating you on social media.
So what can you do?
You can protect yourself and your private data, and you don't have to be an IT expert to do it.
This course outlines a step-by-step roadmap that you can follow to build a tight wall of security around your digital life.
More specifically, here are some of the things we'll cover:
- Why security matters, and how to best approach it
- The most common security threats you should be aware of
- How to develop the right mindset and browsing habits
- How to secure your smartphone and all the private information it knows about you
- The 25 most commonly used passwords (is yours on the list?)
- What makes a good password (123456 is not a good password)
- How to create and manage strong, unique passwords for all of your accounts (without needing to remember them)
- How to lock attackers out of your accounts even if they manage to steal your passwords
- A security hole that attackers can use to gain unfettered access to your accounts without knowing your passwords (and how you can defend yourself)
- How to use the power of encryption to make your private data unreadable to attackers
Again, this is a beginner-level course. These are technical topics, but I hope to walk you through everything in a way that's actionable and easy to understand. (And if you have any questions along the way, all you have to do is ask.)
I'm confident that this course will change the way you look at security, and my confidence is backed by Udemy's 30-day money back guarantee. If you don't love it, you get a full refund—no questions asked. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.
If you haven't already, be sure to enroll in the course! I can't wait to see you inside.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to protect themselves from the various security threats of the modern world
Brad Merrill is the CEO of Merrill Media, a modern holding company focused on building independent, scalable businesses at the intersection of technology and media. He is regarded as an expert in his field, teaching business and technology courses to more than 100,000 students and providing marketing training to a number of prominent startups and Fortune 500 companies.
Merrill considers himself a passionate creative: he loves creating articles, videos, websites, companies, workflows, and new ideas. He has been creating things on the web since 2007, working on dozens of projects and reaching tens of millions of people in the process.
In 2010, Merrill founded VentureBreak, which became a leading source of news about innovation for forward-thinking entrepreneurs, investors, business executives, and interested consumers. Under his leadership, VentureBreak served more than half a million monthly readers, appeared regularly on Techmeme, and found itself cited by a number of notable publications, including the Wall Street Journal. While at the helm, Merrill personally interviewed hundreds of entrepreneurs and industry luminaries, sharing their stories with VentureBreak’s global audience. In 2015, VentureBreak was acquired by the organizer of Europe’s largest technology meetup.
Merrill still has his finger on the pulse of the industry as he works to build new properties in today’s evolving media landscape. One such property is GigaPress, a comprehensive source of free resources for WordPress bloggers, creators, and freelancers.
In addition to developing authoritative new media brands, Merrill leads mDash, an online education studio that specializes in condensing years of industry experience and extensive research into engaging, digestible online courses for students in more than 180 countries.