Securing your dream teaching job
- This course is aimed at teachers or prospective teachers, but will be useful to anyone interested in the job seeking process in the education sector
- No prior knowledge needed
- No additional tech requirements
If you are a teacher at any level or phase, and considering a career move, this is the course for you. We start by exploring whether you *really* want to leave your current position - what are the push and pull factors? What factors might be most significant in making you want to stay or go? From there, we will look at the application process, starting with the writing of an effective letter of application, finishing with the job interview itself, the interview lesson (including advice and guidance for online interviews too) and hopefully ending with you securing the job you want.
- Any teacher or education professional looking for their next job
- Any teacher considering whether to leave their current position
- Any educator who needs support in writing a successful letter of application
- Any educator who wants to develop their interview technique
- Any educator stressed or anxious about securing a new job
- To leave or not to leave
- To leave or not to leave: reflection
- What kind of school do you want to work in? Part 1
- 9 things satisfied teachers feel
- Should I teach abroad?
- The pro's and con's of international teaching
- The Dark Side of International Teaching
- What kind of schools are there and how could this influence their operations?
- Private or State? You decide
- Where to search for a teaching job
- How can you find out about a particular school?
- Writing a letter of application - the do's and don'ts
- NQT letter of application (secondary)
- NQT letter of application (primary)
- Middle Leader letter of application (secondary)
- Checklist for a letter of application
- The Job Interview: Tips and Advice
- What are school leaders looking for? (interviews)
- An online interview
- Some Potential Interview Questions 2020
- Blogs and Resources for preparing for interview
- Bonus lecture
I'm Tom Rogers, a passionate and experienced educator from the UK.
I started my professional teaching career as a High School teacher in 2007 and went on to become a Head of Department in 2013. In September 2016, I took up the role of Head of History at O Castro British International School in Vigo, Spain. In January 2019, I became an assistant headteacher for teaching and learning. I'm now back in the UK.
I have founded, organised and co-hosted #TMHistoryIcons, the only national TeachMeet for History teachers in the UK. Its inaugural meeting took place in March 2016 in Chester and was attended by more than 100 teachers. The second event took place in April 2017, the third in April 2018 and the latest in April 2019. The "teachmeet icons" franchise has now expanded to include Maths, English, Science and Geography strands, becoming one of the most significant grassroots teacher movements in the UK.
I currently write a column for the TES, the largest educational publication in the UK.
I am the director of RogersHistory, an online educational platform which was used by more than 100 schools and 1000 students in the last academic year. My youtube channel supports students to achieve their academic goals and has accrued 100,000 views. I am followed by more than 30,000 educators (and others) on twitter.
I try to bring my passion for teaching and learning into all my Udemy courses. The way in which my courses are planned reflects my current professional role and subject expertise.