Don't (survey)monkey around: Learn to make your surveys work
What you'll learn
- Avoid the 5 devastating errors made by nearly all survey creators that discourage respondents and muddy your results
- Avoid the 5 major traps that are built-in to SurveyMonkey, Qualtrics, Survey Gizmo, and other survey-creation tools
- Craft instructions/email invites/survey items that inspire people to give deep and meaningful feedback that you can take action on
- Dramatically increase response rates on your surveys
- Learn expert tactics unknown to most experts (e.g., response scales mismatched to survey items, survey flow)
- Learn the best ways to incentivize respondents (hint: all of them are free!)
- Recognize the difference between survey items that yield interpetable and meaningful results, and those that do not
- Would be ideal to be familiar with one of the web-based survey creation tools available, such as SurveyMonkey, Survey Gizmo, QuestionPro, SmartSurvey, etc. (NOTE: course content will apply to paper-based surveys but many examples are from web-based surveys)
- You have created at least one paper-based or web-based survey; Or you have created MANY surveys (e.g., it’s one of your job duties)
- Be ready to learn insights and solutions that will put you in the upper 1% of all survey creators!
► More than 30 minutes of FREE PREVIEWS below to see if this course is for you!
JOIN OVER 2,124 (wow!) SUCCESSFUL STUDENTS ALREADY TAKING THIS COURSE!
** Updated March 2019 **
You just created a survey for your customers, members, employees, or students - that's great! Now comes the hard part: trying to get a lot of people to fill it out and give meaningful comments so you have valid and useful results. But since most people ignore surveys and those that bother filling them out often skip over important instructions, make rating errors, and write vague and unhelpful comments, what meaningful decisions can you really make from these misleading results?
Where do you go for answers? If you have a LOT of time or a LOT of money, you can do what most people do:
1. Search the Internet. Spend hours and days reading what works for other people - which leads to conflicting opinions and misleading answers.
2. Ask your colleagues. Everyone has an opinion, right? Ask enough people and you'll end up with many situation-specific answers that don't work for you and a lengthy survey that few people will fill out.
3. Call in the experts. Pay someone else to improve your survey - which costs $ and eats up your time. Frustrating because you know you could have done it yourself!
► Let me offer a far better alternative: Enroll in this course to get expert advice you can quickly apply yourself.
The Survey Doctor is here to give your survey a quick tune-up! Get out the survey you are working on and let me share research-tested solutions and insights that you can immediately apply to your survey items, scales, and instructions that will yield interpretable results to take correct action. In fact, these are the same tactics that I have used to improve surveys and evaluation forms created at 650 colleges, training organizations and Fortune 500 companies. But once you join the Udemy community you won't have to pay my fees or travel expenses! :)
Within a couple hours you will be able to:
Ask the RIGHT questions in the RIGHT way to get interpretable results
Dramatically boost response rates (without paying anyone!)
Get relevant and actionable written comments from respondents you can use
Engage people to WANT to fill out your survey
Eliminate costly incentives and "survey fatigue"
Smile with confidence and satisfaction knowing that all the efforts you put into creating your survey will now yield huge returns and valid results
Who this course is for:
- You play a role in creating/administering/analyzing web-based or paper-based surveys for members, clients, prospects, students, instructors, alumni, employees, or other key respondents
- You want to improve some aspect of your surveys, such as: (1) get higher response rates, (2) collect more meaningful and clear results, (3) spend less time and money on incentives, (4) generate more useful and actionable written comments, or (5) get more participation and enthusiasm from respondents
- NOTE: This course may not be necessary if the results of your surveys are not the basis for important decisions (e.g., you only do quick “doodle polls” to check available meeting times)
- NOTE: This course may not be necessary if your past survey efforts have all yielded high response rates, meaningful and interpretable results, and you have no trouble getting people to fill out your surveys again and again
- NOTE: This is not a course about "how to make a million dollars sitting at home filling out surveys!"
For two decades, Matthew Champagne, Ph.D. has influenced survey and feedback practices in learning organizations worldwide as a senior research fellow, university professor, theorist, serial entrepreneur, and in-demand speaker. He has authored more than 75 articles, books and how-to guides with practical solutions to create high-quality survey instruments and processes that have been implemented at more than 600 organizations. Dr. Champagne's theories and research spawned the web-based course evaluation industry in higher education and he helped create many of the innovative web-based technologies used today to improve the quality of training and customer service.