Secrets of Magazine Model Photography
- Your own camera
- A basic knowledge of photography
- Willingness to try new techniques to achieve amazing results
Acclaimed photographer Jason Cole takes you on a journey into the world of the Professional Glamour & Magazine Photographer.
Jason Cole has photographed models for some of the biggest and most popular Glamour Magazines in Australia and the world. Jason now brings his extensive experience to this instructional course highlighting professional techniques, equipment and location considerations never before captured in a course like this.
This course contains over 2 hrs of behind-the-scenes live video... showing you every aspect of photographing models so you can build a portfolio or sell your work to magazines.
This course is not like any other photography course you have seen before. It's definitely not just a bunch of PowerPoint slides with bullet points and a voiceover!
All the lessons are shot live... right on location with real models using multiple camera angles and a full production team.
It's like being right there at the photo shoot, looking over Jason's shoulder as he demonstrates exactly how to achieve the photographic results that publishers want for their magazines.
This is your ticket to see the tips and techniques that only industry insiders would ever see... allowing you to progress from taking your usual average photos... to photos that are in demand and can be sold to magazine publishers all over the world.
Use the knowledge in this course to start making money with your passion... whilst having fun at the same time.
Topics covered include:
- Equipment that professional photographers use and why they use it.
- Shoot #1: Theme shoot based in a workshop garage.
- Shoot #2: Beach scene with harsh bright sunlight.
- Shoot #3: Beach scene with overcast lighting.
- Shoot #4: Fashion studio shoot.
- Tips about shooting models from his vast experience in this field.
This course was six months in the making, using professional lighting with some of Australia's hottest models.
Creative multi-angle videography and magazine grade photography makes this a must have visual and informational feast.
You will learn how to:
- Prepare your model for your photo shoot.
- Correct use of main lighting, rim lighting and how to use a scrim.
- Coloring backgrounds and isolating your model.
- Use a light meter to set your studio lighting for perfect results.
- How to shoot a DPS (Double Page Spread).
- Exposing for a rich vibrant sky.
- Posing your model and controlling squinting in bright sunlight.
- Posing an inexperienced model.
- Avoid any issues when shooting models under 18 years of age.
- And lots more tips from photography pros so you can achieve images that you never thought were possible!
Interactive Online Help
Jason Cole and the team at Learn Photography HQ are here to answer all your photography questions. We want you to be a success in your chosen career as a professional model photographer.
No matter if you are just starting out and creating your first glamour portfolio, or whether you are a seasoned professional, we are here to answer any questions you may have in a timely manner.
Having access to a team of professional photographers is invaluable whilst you learn and perfect your craft.
Meet your Course Instructor
As a visual artist, it has always been my passion to produce a course like this. Another one of my personal goals can now be ticked off my list. This production has been six months in the filming and over twelve months in the planning with an entire professional design and production team. Enormous effort been put into making sure this course is the best of its kind. I sincerely hope you enjoy watching this course as much as we did creating it for you.
- Students with a basic knowledge of photography
- Photographers that want to get published
- Photographers that have attempted to get published in a magazine before and have been unsuccessful
- Course Introduction02:59
- Examples of what can be Achieved02:01
- Aperture (f-stops) Explained00:50
- Should you do Time for Prints (TFP) / Time for CD (TFCD)?00:41
- Preparing your Model for your Photo Shoot10:54
- Comparing Models01:22
- Setting the Main light and Rim Light and using a Scrim11:48
- Coloring the Background and Isolating your Model10:08
- Using your Light Meter and Setting a Rim and Main Light (Welder)07:10
- Shooting a DPS (Double Page Spread)03:31
- Creating DPS Options and Exposing for a Rich Vibrant Sky03:11
- Creating a Second DPS Option and Controlling Squinting03:27
- Creating a Third DPS Option and Posing your Model02:39
- Creating and Metering a Single Scene & Setting up for Magazine Print02:39
- Adding a Second Single Scene using a Rim Light and a Main Light03:06
- Preparing your Model and Setting Up for the First DPS02:52
- Creating the First DPS and Posing an Inexperienced Model03:37
- Using a Scrim and why it is Critical to Your Success02:34
- Posing your model for a single scene & Model Communication03:32
- Setting up and Metering your Scene in Direct Sunlight04:23
- Makeup Time Lapse - from Start to Finish00:39
- Catalogue Lighting. Scene setup explained.05:35
- Interacting with your Model02:45
- Shooting a Cover Shot03:22
- Assessing your Environment06:18
- Trying Different Lighting Positions02:15
- Sun Studios Walkthrough - A Professional Studio Location01:47
- Interview with Emma and her Mother05:18
- Interview with Sun Studios Sales Manager Kelly Hodge02:02
- Out Takes04:39
- Coming Soon...00:41
Jason Cole and Sean Murray, our two lead instructors at Learn Photography HQ, have many years of photography experience at a professional level. Both instructors are full time successful professional photographers with different styles and ideas but both with the same passion and commitment that has taken them to the top of their profession.
As instructors they both enjoy teaching students the techniques and shortcuts that took them years to learn. It has always been a passion of Jason and Sean to teach and instruct others. They especially like seeing the results that their students have created using techniques they taught them.
Jason is a master at outdoor studio lighting and has more than a decade of experience using professional outdoor battery-powered studio lighting systems.
Jason has photographed well over 400 published magazine shoots. Some of the Magazines Jason has photographed for regularly are FHM (Australia and International), Ralph, FUEL, 2DMAX, Alpha, Zoo, Ultra Fit and several other magazines.
Jason was voted by his peers at SWPP in the top three glamour photographers world-wide. His style is easily recognizable as he has forged his own look and feel to his photographs.
Over the years Jason has worked with many editors, art directors and other people involved in the magazine industry in the decision making process that hire and more importantly re-hire photographers for magazine submissions.
Jason is also one of the most sort after Wedding photographers in his hometown of Wollongong and has a diary booked solid for nearly two years ahead.
Sean Murray is a successful commercial photographer and our resident tech-nerd at Learn Photography HQ. Some of the companies Sean has shot for include: Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, Australian Navy, ASIC and celebrities such as Buzz Aldrin for Microsoft.