Scalable programming with Scala and Spark
What you'll learn
- Use Spark for a variety of analytics and Machine Learning tasks
- Understand functional programming constructs in Scala
- Implement complex algorithms like PageRank or Music Recommendations
- Work with a variety of datasets from Airline delays to Twitter, Web graphs, Social networks and Product Ratings
- Use all the different features and libraries of Spark : RDDs, Dataframes, Spark SQL, MLlib, Spark Streaming and GraphX
- Write code in Scala REPL environments and build Scala applications with an IDE
- All examples work with or without Hadoop. If you would like to use Spark with Hadoop, you'll need to have Hadoop installed (either in pseudo-distributed or cluster mode).
- The course assumes experience with one of the popular object-oriented programming languages like Java/C++
Taught by a 4 person team including 2 Stanford-educated, ex-Googlers and 2 ex-Flipkart Lead Analysts. This team has decades of practical experience in working with Java and with billions of rows of data.
Get your data to fly using Spark and Scala for analytics, machine learning and data science
Let’s parse that.
What's Spark? If you are an analyst or a data scientist, you're used to having multiple systems for working with data. SQL, Python, R, Java, etc. With Spark, you have a single engine where you can explore and play with large amounts of data, run machine learning algorithms and then use the same system to productionize your code.
Scala: Scala is a general purpose programming language - like Java or C++. It's functional programming nature and the availability of a REPL environment make it particularly suited for a distributed computing framework like Spark.
Analytics: Using Spark and Scala you can analyze and explore your data in an interactive environment with fast feedback. The course will show how to leverage the power of RDDs and Dataframes to manipulate data with ease.
Machine Learning and Data Science : Spark's core functionality and built-in libraries make it easy to implement complex algorithms like Recommendations with very few lines of code. We'll cover a variety of datasets and algorithms including PageRank, MapReduce and Graph datasets.
Scala Programming Constructs: Classes, Traits, First Class Functions, Closures, Currying, Case Classes
Lot's of cool stuff ..
- Music Recommendations using Alternating Least Squares and the Audioscrobbler dataset
- Dataframes and Spark SQL to work with Twitter data
- Using the PageRank algorithm with Google web graph dataset
- Using Spark Streaming for stream processing
- Working with graph data using the Marvel Social network dataset
.. and of course all the Spark basic and advanced features:
- Resilient Distributed Datasets, Transformations (map, filter, flatMap), Actions (reduce, aggregate)
- Pair RDDs , reduceByKey, combineByKey
- Broadcast and Accumulator variables
- Spark for MapReduce
- The Java API for Spark
- Spark SQL, Spark Streaming, MLlib and GraphX
Who this course is for:
- Yep! Engineers who want to use a distributed computing engine for batch or stream processing or both
- Yep! Analysts who want to leverage Spark for analyzing interesting datasets
- Yep! Data Scientists who want a single engine for analyzing and modelling data as well as productionizing it.
Loonycorn is us, Janani Ravi and Vitthal Srinivasan. Between us, we have studied at Stanford, been admitted to IIM Ahmedabad and have spent years working in tech, in the Bay Area, New York, Singapore and Bangalore.
Janani: 7 years at Google (New York, Singapore); Studied at Stanford; also worked at Flipkart and Microsoft
Vitthal: Also Google (Singapore) and studied at Stanford; Flipkart, Credit Suisse and INSEAD too
We think we might have hit upon a neat way of teaching complicated tech courses in a funny, practical, engaging way, which is why we are so excited to be here on Udemy!
We hope you will try our offerings, and think you'll like them :-)