- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Identify controls to evaluate as it relates to Information Technology (IT) and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX).
- Explore the IT Control Framework, and recognize how to approach IT evaluation.
- Explore IT Entity controls.
- Explore Application Controls (AC) vs. General Controls (GC).
- Identify Information Technology General Controls (ITGC) that are specific to Financial Reporting (FR).
- No advanced preparation or prerequisites are needed for this course, but completion of the instructor's previous webinars on Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) may be helpful.
This course speaks directly to the importance of general controls (GC), application controls (AC) and spreadsheet controls as they relate to Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX). In the initial years of SOX compliance, many felt that a material weakness could not result from a failure of any type of Information Technology (IT) control. The world has changed, and IT is no longer simply a back office function. IT is of strategic importance to internal control over financial reporting (ICFR), and it must be adequately evaluated from both a GC and AC level.
The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) guidance states technology controls should only be part of SOX 404 to the extent specific financial risks are addressed. This approach can significantly reduce the scope of IT controls required in the assessment. Scoping decision is part of the entity's top-down risk assessment and can utilize a baselining approach. However, to understand the aspects of how to scope and baseline information technology controls, the assessor must have a strong understanding of how technology controls impact internal controls over financial reporting.
If you would like Continuing Education Credit (e.g. CPE, CE, CPD, etc.) for this course, it is available if you take this course on the Illumeo dot com platform under course title: Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) General Controls, Applications Controls, and Spreadsheet Controls. Illumeo is certified to provide CPE in over two dozen different professional certifications covering finance, accounting, treasury, internal audit, HR, and more. However, in order to receive CPE credit the courses must be taken on an ‘approved-by-the-governing-body’ CPE platform, and for over two dozen corporate professional certifications, that is the Illumeo platform. Go to Illumeo dot com to learn more.
- Anyone interested in accounting, finance, risk management, or related fields.