Sacred Reading (How to Read Sacred Texts)
- Access to a Bible, whether it be print, through an app, or online
For anyone who has ever desired to dive deeply into ancient religious texts such as the Bible, the Tao Te Ching, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, and others, there is a less stressful, and more transformative way of reading these books. Using the easily accessible method of Lectio Divina (Sacred Reading), found in ancient Christian monastic communities we find a way to read meditatively, at your own soul's pace, in order to find what the text has to say to you personally today. Through the four steps of Read (Lectio), Meditate (Meditatio), Pray (Oratio), and Contemplate (Contemplatio) you will discover a way to make reading your sacred text a valuable part of your daily practice. You will also learn how to lead groups using this method.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in diving deeply into sacred texts in a transfromative way, no matter your religious affiliations or beliefs.
- 06:10Note on God
- 05:19Lectio Divina - What It Is and What It Isn't
- 11:09Historical Origins of Lectio Divina
- 09:42Step 1: Read (Lectio)
- 03:32Step 2: Meditate (Meditatio)
- 03:21Step 3: Pray (Oratio)
- 06:03Step 4: Contemplate (Contemplatio)
- 07:17How To Use This Method With Any Sacred Text
- 09:09How To Do Sacred Reading In Groups
Damon Garcia is a progressive Christian mystic with years of youth and young adults ministry experience in churches, schools, and wherever people are talking about spirituality and culture. Besides these courses Damon creates vlogs on his youtube channel and co-hosts the podcast, Everyone Is Talking About God, available on iTunes. Damon's goal is provide value and resources for the post-religious, but spiritually hungry.