Residential Plan Reading, Scaling & Construction Math
What you'll learn
- You will learn to identify notes, legends, and title blocks, their function for conveying and organizing information in a set of plans.
- You will name and describe common symbols and abbreviations found on standard plans
- Identify different dimensions and dimension lines on a set of plans
- Identify different print views and describe drawing features and details that is included in each
- Navigate a standard set of prints to find reference information to answer questions about building details
- Convert units back and forth from square inches to square feet and square yards
- Use geometric formulas to calculate the area and volume of certain shapes to determine a material estimate
- No prerequisites required
This course covers the basics elements of residential construction plans, how they are organized, and how to index them to find specific information to include locating and identifying specific dimensions, basic construction terms and abbreviations, and other basic drawing components, lines, and symbols. Different plan views will be explained and the purpose of each.
The course also includes a student exercise for the plan reading module that includes a full set of house plans and over 30 questions designed to teach you how to navigate the plan set. The Scaling module has 2 activities to help you practice reading an architect and engineer scale. You do not need to have a scale; we have provided you with an image based assignment to help you replicate the process. You can check all your answers by entering them in the quiz and get immediate feedback.
We also include several video lessons on basic construction math just in case you need a refresher. Review unit conversation, area and volume calculations.
If you are a beginner, you will not overwhelmed with this course content – we have kept it light for those just starting in construction plan reading.
Hope to see you in the course to learn this valuable skill with us.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone wanting to learn the basics of construction plan reading
TEACH Construction is a social enterprise that creates and distributes instructional resources to those that teach construction. We are making a few of our courses available here on Udemy. All funds made from these courses will be used to support the work we do providing teaching resources to schools. So your learning will help schools teach the next generation of trade professionals.