Renewable Energy from Beginner to Expert Taught by Scientist
What you'll learn
- Understand how the different renewable energy technologies work
- Solar energy (photovoltaics), wind, hydro and water power, geothermal energy, bioenergy & biofuels
- Do calculations: How efficient are the different forms of renewable energy?
- Outlook into the future: Nuclear fusion energy & Energy storage technologies
- The basics: Energy as a quantity in physics, chemistry and biology
- For yourself: How can you use solar panels and heat pumps to save money and achieve a sustainable future
- Global picture: Determine what we need to satisfy our global energy demand
- See the bigger picture: All our energy comes from nuclear fusion in the sun. We only need to use a tiny fraction - 0.01% that arrives at earth is sufficient
- Understand carbon recycling and see that biofuels have effectively zero emissions
- None! The physics is fully taught in the course!
- If you want to do the calculations yourself: 10th grade mathematics
- (In a very few cases: Integral calculus helps you to follow along)
This course is for everyone who wants to learn how renewable energy technologies work in detail.
It is THE complete course containing all relevant topics like Solar energy (Photovoltaics), Wind energy, Hydro & Marine energy, Geothermal energy, Bio energy, Nuclear fusion energy, Heat pumps and Energy storages such as Hydrogen.
Since fossil fuels are limited on earth and their CO2 emission causes global warming and climate change, we need to transition towards a sustainable energy generation. You will learn about the corresponding science in this comprehensive 10-hour course! I have created it for everyone who is interested in a sustainable and green future. I am sure, you will learn a lot - no matter if you are completely new to the topic or if you are an advanced science student.
You are kindly invited to join this carefully prepared course in which we use the laws of physics, chemistry and biology to understand the following concepts in detail. I will present many examples and give you quizzes and exercises (incl. solutions) for all topics. Also you can download all my slides.
Introduction & Basics about energy (1.5 hours)
What is energy? What types of energy exist?
Renewable energy: Why do we need to change? Perspectives and challenges.
Renewable energy technologies used today (6 hours)
Solar energy: Photovoltaics
Wind, hydro and marine energy
Geothermal energy & Heat pumps
Bioenergy & Hydrogen
Future technologies (2.5 hours)
Nuclear fusion power
In the more than 100 lectures, exercises and quizzes we will answer important questions:
- Why do we only need to use 0.01% of the sun's energy that arrives at the earth?
- How many wind turbines do we need to satisfy the global energy demand?
- What size must a single solar park have to satisfy the global energy demand?
- Why are solar cells made out of silicon and why is an efficiency of 33% considered 'excellent'?
- How much energy can we harvest from inside our earth?
- How can it be that a nuclear fusion of 1 gram hydrogen generates the same energy as burning several tons of coal?
The list goes on!
My name is Börge Göbel and I am a postdoc working as a scientist in theoretical physics.
I have refined my advisor skills as a tutor of Bachelor, Master and PhD students in theoretical physics and have other successful courses here on Udemy.
In my research projects I simulate magnetic systems that may eventually lead to more efficient data storage devices which allow us to save energy - However, wouldn't it be even nicer if we had more than enough energy? Find out how! ;-)
I hope you are excited and I kindly welcome you to our course!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for everyone: Absolute beginners to advanced science students
- Everyone who is interested in renewable energy
- Everyone who is interested in science, especially physics & chemistry
- Employees in real estate, electricity or gas companies
- Everyone who wants to know how we can transition to a carbon-neutral and sustainable energy production as a society
- Everyone who wants to know what you can do as an individual: Solar panels & Heat pumps
Hi, my name is Börge, I am a theoretical physicist working in the field for more than 10 years. I have been supervising several Bachelor, Master and PhD students and I am an experienced instructor on physics, mathematics and programming-related topics and want to spark your excitement for science. I will help you to become knowledgeable and successful in the STEM fields. Understanding Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics basically guarantees you to have a successful career and to be able to make the world a better place. However, getting into these extremely fascinating topics can be frustrating: They are often taught either too loosely or with a too strong focus on the mathematics.
My all-in-one courses are exactly the courses I wish I had when I was first getting into university-level mathematics, physics & programming!
You will benefit no matter what your skill level is: from ‘interested newcomer’ to ‘experienced university student’. Each beginner friendly course (mathematical basics included) condenses more than a whole semester of university to about 10h-20h of time-efficient videos, exercises, quizzes, and real-world examples.
Join 6,000+ happy students today in one of my comprehensive 5-star courses. I am excited to go on this journey together with you :-)
Career as a scientist
Dr. Börge Göbel is a tutor and scientist working in theoretical physics. For his post-doctoral research position in quantum physics at a German university, he has to use and refine his programming (mostly Python and Mathematica), mathematics and physics skills on a daily basis. His 30+ original research publications in the most prestigious and renowned journals (including Nature & Science publishing groups) have been cited 1,000+ times and he has collaborated with outstanding researchers (including Nobel prize laureates) from all over the world.
The secret to do research successfully is not to hole up in complicated equations but to make the difficult concepts simple and accessible – to oneself and to others :-)
Check out my website to stay updated about my courses.