EssentialSQL: Data Modeling & Relational Data Architecture
What you'll learn
- Understand the fundamental concepts of data architecture and principles of data modeling, including entities, attributes, relationships, and keys.
- Understand the various types of data models, including conceptual models, logical models, and physical models.
- Be able to choose the appropriate data model for a given situation.
- Be able to analyze and design a database using the Entity-Relationship (ER) data model.
- Know how to transform a conceptual data model into a logical data model using normalization.
- Understand the principles of data modeling and database design to create a well-designed database.
- Know how to use data modeling tools, such as ER (Entity Relationship) diagrams and data modeling software, to create and document data models.
- Be able to communicate effectively about data modeling concepts and designs with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- No programming experience is needed.
- No prior knowledge of MySQL, SQLServer, PostgreSQL or Oracle is required!
- Appreciate basic database concepts such as knowing about columns, rows, and tables.
- Interest in a class hyper-focused on database design and data architecture -- nothing else!
This course is perfect if you're looking for entry-level course to learn data modeling and relational database table design.
Its singular purpose is to teach you relational database logical design using simple to understand English. We'll walk though modeling requirements, building the conceptual data model, and logical database model. Finally we create scripts to create the physical tables. If you looking to understand data architecture, then you'll find this course very practical!
Join me as we work through Lou's, the owner of several pizza shops, to model, design and create a database he can use to track is business.
In this Course you will Learn to:
Create a conceptual data model based on Lou's Pizza Shops' requirements.
Use ER (Entity-Relationship) diagrams to model and design database tables and relationships between one another.
Appreciate and design around data modification anomalies.
Identify a properly formed database table.
Answer common interview questions related to relational database normalization and data architecture.
Spot a poorly designed table.
Communicate with others about table design.
Finally understand those confounding normalization rules!
Identify database normalization issues within our design and know how to fix them.
Use an ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram) to create database scripts.
Nothing is worse than
Being excited to learn something new but not knowing where to start.
Wasting time learning the wrong features.
Being overwhelmed with options and not know which to use.
Knowledge - Knowing how to quickly understand database design to take your SQL to the next level.
Confidence - Feeling good that you’re on the right track.
Accomplishment - Having a sense of accomplishment that you've learned something most cannot.
Fun - Having fun learning databases!
By the time you’ve completed this course you’ll be able to design and implement relational databases using tables, keys, relationships, and SQL commands in MySQL, PostgresSQL, and SQL Server to meet user and operational needs.
Who this course is for:
- Students baffled by their professor's database normalization explanations
- DBAs seeking common sense definitions of database normal forms.
- Anyone studying MySQL, Oracle, or SQL Server wanting to become a better database designer.
- People preparing for SQL related job interviews.
- Anyone looking to take a class whose singular purpose is to teach you database design.
- Anyone who doesn't have time to weed through dense textbooks trying to sort out academic explanations.
If you're interested in learning SQL, you're in the right place.
I'm here to help you build a strong foundation in all aspects of SQL: from the very first steps to complex data architectures and designs. Many people struggle with where to begin learning SQL, but you don’t have to!! Essential SQL is my platform for bringing all aspects of SQL to you.
With more than 30 years of experience in SQL and a degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan, I am passionate about helping others learn this valuable skill. As a blogger, I share SQL tips and how-to articles with over a million readers each year on my blog, Essential SQL. In addition, I have been teaching online for over eight years to people from various industries, including accounting, purchasing, and human resources.
In my professional life, I work with large corporations to design data warehouses that support business intelligence and data science activities. I believe that SQL is a valuable skill that is within reach for anyone, and my courses are designed to help you learn and grow with the technology.
So, what will you get out of my courses?
You will learn SQL from the ground up and progress to advanced concepts. Whether you are a beginner with no prior experience in SQL or looking to expand your knowledge and skills, these courses are tailored to meet your needs.
One of the key features of my courses is the hands-on experience and exercises that I provide. Instead of just talking about concepts and theories, I believe that the best way to learn is by doing. That's why my courses are packed with practical exercises that allow you to apply what they have learned and see the results for yourself.
As you work through my courses, I will be with you every step of the way to provide guidance and support. I will walk you through the very basics of SQL, such as selecting data from tables and filtering results, and then progress to more advanced topics like creating and modifying tables, working with data types, and using built-in functions. By the end of the course, you will have a solid understanding of SQL and be able to apply what you have learned to real-world situations.
In short, my Essential SQL courses offer a comprehensive and practical learning experience that will take you from the very basics to advanced concepts in SQL. Whether you are looking to improve your career prospects, solve problems more efficiently, or just want to learn more about this powerful language, my courses have you covered.
What are Students Saying?
For the lessons I have covered so far, the instructor is doing a great job in explaining key concepts of stored procedure with several examples of SQL statements to refine business logic. Pretty cool -- Billandre O.
Teaching style is really practical. It takes a depth of topical understanding to reduce the topic to an accessible form. He’s got those skillz – Mathew C
I like the way Kris teaches delicate subjects in simple English. This course helps students and beginners to better understand Database Design and Data Modeling. I highly recommend it to start your journey in the relational database world. – Radouane B
So far this course teach me in a very short of time how to get confidence with Stored Procedures. I need to learn the subject quick for a job interview . But it's not only basic staff. The lecture gave important example and teach us to use it in the most advantage way for SQL. – Yael M.
Excellent course with clear explanations. The instructor had an easy and likeable approach that comprehensively answered how to wield the power of the subquery. Highly recommended. – Andre M
So what are you waiting for? Enroll in one of my courses today.
See you in class.
Welcome to EssentialSQL, where we believe in the power of hands-on learning to master SQL. If you're a business analyst feeling overwhelmed by the abundance of information available on the internet, we're here to help.
Our courses are designed to give you the guidance and support you need to succeed, using simple and easy-to-understand language.
You'll learn at the right time and in the right order, with expert instruction and motivation to keep you on track. And if you ever have any questions, our team is here to answer them and help you succeed.
Here's what you can expect from our courses:
· A clear and structured learning path, so you can learn at the right time and in the right order
· Expert instruction to help you work smarter and avoid missing deadlines
· Support and motivation to keep you on track and motivated to learn new skills Don't let learning SQL feel out of reach.
Ready to get started? Enroll now and start learning SQL with EssentialSQL.