Reciprocating Compressors : Principles , Operation & Design
What you'll learn
- Understand the working principles of reciprocating compressors for a successful operation of your plant and piping system
- Understand the construction details of reciprocating compressors for a successful maintenance and troubleshooting (crankshafts, bearings, crossheads, connecting rods, pistons, packings, rings, valves, unloaders...)
- Perform various calculations to size and assess compressor performance (head, discharge temperature, inlet capacity, piston displacement, volumetric efficiency…)
- Understand what affects the selection and design of reciprocating compressors (process conditions, gas characteristics, foundation needs, power supply, interstaging, altitude…)
- Know how you can adapt your compressor capacity to your system demand changes using various techniques (intake valve unloading, clearance pocket, variable volume valve, 5 step control…)
- Understand the concept of pulsation, how it can affect your compressor performance and how to control it according to the API 618 standard
- Know how to size suction and discharge volume bottles to control reciprocating compressor pulsation
- Understand the importance of compressor lubrication
- Discover the various compressor lubrication systems and how they operate (splash, splash and flood, full pressure circulation…)
- Understand the importance of compressor cooling, intercooling and aftercooling
- Discover the various compressor cooling systems and how they operate (series flow, parallel flow, closed systems…)
- Analyze the problems in operation related to compressor valves, pulsation control, capacity control…
- Some engineering or field knowledge is preferable but not mandatory. All the concepts are explained in depth using an easy to understand language to allow students to build their knowledge from the ground up
- Having attended our "Centrifugal Compressors : Principles, Operation & Design" training course is a plus but not mandatory
- Having attended our "Understand & Predict Your Centrifugal Compressor Performance & Behavior" training course is a plus but not mandatory
Reciprocating compressors of various designs and applications are encountered nowadays throughout refining, petrochemical and process industries as well as in power generation and environmental engineering.
This course is designed to provide you with a complete understanding of construction details and functioning of reciprocating compressors. This understanding is a prerequisite for a successful operation of your plant and piping system.
The course includes extensive graphics, 3D animations and cross-sectional views to give you a virtual practical exposure on reciprocating compressors.
The objective of this course is threefold :
1. Break down for you all the reciprocating compressor operating principles into easily digestible concepts like gas compression, capacity control, pulsation control, compressor lubrication and cooling...
2. Illustrate through 3D animations and cross-sectional views the main compressor mechanical components, state their function and operating limits, like bearings, packings, crossheads, pistons, valves...
3. Provide guidelines and best practices for operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of reciprocating compressors in accordance with the API 618 standard
So with no further ado, check out the free preview videos and the curriculum of the course and we look forward to seeing you in the first section.
Hope to see you there
Spread the wings of your knowledge
Who this course is for:
- Mechanical, Process and Chemical Engineers
- Product Engineers and Technologists
- Operation, Technical Service and Maintenance Professionals
- Engineers, Consultants and Sales professionals
- Technical professionals responsible for rotating equipment inspection
- Technical professionals responsible for interdisciplinary energy projects
Welcome to our Udemy page.
WR Training is a group of professional engineers from various disciplines (chemical, petrochemical, mechanical, electrical…) providing academic and industrial online courses.
Whether you’re trying to learn and discover a new scientific or engineering topic from scratch, or want to refresh your memory on something you’ve learnt in the past, you’ve come to the right place.
WR Training exists to help you succeed in your academic and professional life. Our goal is to spread the knowledge and promote science.
The courses, you are about to enroll in, were undertaken to give you a clear view of scientific and engineering topics through detailed examples using hands on demo and provide numerous problems with their solutions. You can also use these courses as a review for taking exams or as a vehicle for self-instruction.
Our training methodology was designed to enable individual self paced e-learning.
Each course has been undertaken to teach a specific skill.
Our courses can be watched 24/7 wherever you are. You can also view them on mobile devices with the Udemy mobile app.
We are active online instructors and we will be here for you every step of the way. If you have questions about the course content, you can always post your questions or send us a private message. It will be our pleasure to provide assistance and answer your questions.
So with no further ado, go ahead, select the course suitable for you, click the enroll button and we'll see you in the first section !
Spread the wings of your knowledge