Fundamentals of Analyzing Real Estate Investments
What you'll learn
- Confidently Evaluate the Return Potential of Any Real Estate Investment Opportunity
- Know a "Good" Investment from a "Bad" Investment
- Use Professional Grade Investment Models to Evaluate Your Deals
- Evaluate Rental Income Properties
- Evaluate Fix & Flips
- Evaluate Commercial Properties
- Evaluate Airbnb Properties
- Use Smart Investment Deal Structures With Business Partners
- Understand and Use Professional Real Estate Investment Strategies & Techniques
- Have Microsoft Excel 2011 or Newer
Instructor Symon He hosts near-daily LIVE office hours on TikTok at 10:30 p.m. PDT. Find him at ATSymonHe.
Welcome to Fundamentals of Analyzing Real Estate Investments, my practical course on how to use professional techniques to evaluate investment opportunities in real estate. This course has been propelling students from total beginners to confident practitioners in a matter of weeks.
Here is what a few of my students have to say:
James McCarthy: 5 stars
For the most bang for your buck, this is the most value-packed course I have on Udemy out of 84. The tools and materials in this course are top-notch. This course is a clear investment in achieving my investment goals. You're not likely going to build a house without a hammer. You need the right tool for the job, and this is it!"
Dave Clinton: 5 Stars
“The instructor not only gave you a strategy but also showed you how to apply it in real-world situations.”
Bradley Garza, 5 Stars
“Tremendous value—just a wealth of content and knowledge I don't see anywhere else. The investment models and examples alone are worth 100 times what I paid for this course. The instructor is responsive and continues to update the content. Thank you, Symon!”
Mark Forest, 5 Stars
“There is a tremendous amount of information in this course that far surpasses anything else offered by Udemy.
It doesn’t matter what facet of the real estate investment industry you are interested in; this course is full of invaluable information that will save you time and, if you apply what you learn, money.
Inside, you’ll find useful information on:
• Rental Income Properties
• Fix and Flip
• Multifamily Apartments
• Commercial Properties
• Land Development
• and a whole lot more!
Want to know what real estate investment analysis is all about?
Tired of "no money down/get rich like me" real estate investing "secrets" from supposed real estate gurus that leave you filled with nothing but marketing fluff and upsells trying to convince you to purchase their $2000 elite coaching program?
Me too. That’s why I developed this course for students who are looking for actual results and not a magic bullet.
I can't promise I'll help you get rich enough to buy your own yacht and a pair of Ferraris, but I can teach you some serious real estate investment analysis techniques. The same techniques are used by the best and most successful investors.
If you want to learn the real fundamentals of real estate investing and how to actually evaluate investment opportunities the way professional investors do, this is the course for you.
After getting my MBA from Stanford, I became a licensed broker and real estate consultant and worked on over $400 million in real estate deals. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on research, not counting the countless deals I’ve made over the years.
And I’ve taken all that knowledge and put it all into this course.
Jim Bo: 5 Stars
“This is a very detailed and thorough course that covers many aspects and builds a solid foundation for real estate investing. In addition to superb videos, Symon does an excellent job of promptly answering all your questions with a lot of details. Anyone who is thinking about investing in real estate should take this course!”
Nelson Robertson: 5 Stars
“Well organized, thorough, and easy to follow. Symon makes a point to be very responsive to questions and provides very detailed answers. Tremendous value.”
How do you know if this course is right for you?
Have you ever wanted to
• Invest with business partners, but do so in a smart and fair way.
• Want to appeal to investor clients as an agent?
• Want to land an acquisitions role as an analyst/associate?
• Want to get into real estate private equity and need to get up to speed?
• Want to be able to ANALYZE any real estate opportunity?
• Look at and evaluate deals the way a professional investor would?
• Become smarter and more efficient at finding and evaluating deals than you did before?
• Know what Airbnb short-term rentals are all about and if it's worth your effort.
• Become an agent who could target investor clients instead of just home buyers?
• Do you have professional investment analysis tools that you could use immediately to evaluate your own investment opportunities?
• Get into a real estate acquisitions role (analyst or associate) in real estate i-banking or private equity (you get 20+ investment models or examples!)
If you answered yes to any of the above, then this course is definitely for you.
Theododre Catillo: 5 Stars
“Very comprehensive. Much more than I expected. recommend it to anyone wanting a solid foundation.
Priska Prasetya: 5 Stars
“Easy to understand. The teacher makes the explanation simple. Highly recommended!”
Jorge Juyo: 5 Stars
“The information is really well organized and presented; Symon uses all the media and audiovisual aids possible, and that makes it easy to follow.”
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I don't live in the US; is the material still relevant to me?
Yes! While all of the examples use US properties, ALL of the concepts taught and tools provided are just as useful for any market around the world. In fact, I have students from over 190 countries who are learning and using the tools provided in the course to help them invest in their local area.
What if I don't have any real estate background?
Perfect! I start you off with a heavy dose of the fundamentals, so students with no experience or background can get the most out of the rest of the course. Check out my foundational sections below.
I have some real estate background already; what could I learn from your course?
Besides everything listed above, I’ll show you how to answer these types of questions for EVERY kind of real estate property:
• How do you know if a particular investment is worth your time and money?
• How do you know if property A is better than property B?
• How do you find deals that make sense for you? That fit your risk preferences and goals?
• How can you calculate your expected return on your investment?
• How would you analyze the returns for your investment company?
• How do you structure an investment with investment partners?
• How do you analyze operating assets?
If you know how to do all of that, this course isn’t for you. The good news is that I have plenty of advanced courses available as well; feel free to check those out right now to find the one that’s appropriate for your experience level.
Having said that, I put A LOT of useful materials in here, so you're more than likely going to learn something new.
I've had folks with over 20 years of experience find something of value in this course, so I’m certain you can too.
Why is there so much math and number crunching?
You can't properly evaluate a real estate investment without looking at its numbers. So if you hate math and don't like numbers, this course isn't for you. Serious real estate analysis is probably not for you either.
Why do you use Excel so much?
Good question. Analyzing real estate investments involves looking at the numbers, and it's easiest to do so with spreadsheets, which is why I use Excel extensively in this course. But the good thing is that you DO NOT have to build any of the models yourself. You just need to be able to follow along, and then you'll be able to use the models I give you.
Can you make me rich by taking your course?
No, not just from taking the course. Anyone who promises you that is selling snake oil.
What I can guarantee is that you will leave with some serious real estate investing knowledge and techniques that can then lead you to being more profitable with your investments.
What else does this course cover besides real estate investing?
This course is ALL about and ONLY about professional real estate investing concepts and techniques. Nothing else. But as you can see, this topic alone offers quite a bit to cover already.
Actually, I do cover one more thing: I will also cover daily affirmations that help you build that winning mindset. Oh, and I’ll have lots of sales videos that will push you to sign up for my super-secret real estate system for only 12 low monthly payments of just $999. Just kidding.
What will I be able to do after I take your course?
After taking my course, you will be:
• Be able to confidently use professional real estate investment techniques.
• Able to evaluate both residential AND commercial real estate opportunities
• Able to structure investments with business partners in a smart and equitable way via the waterfall framework
• Know how to identify and mitigate investment risks.
What won't I get from this course?
• You will not get a Real Estate License by taking this course. You can only get licensed by taking the appropriate test with the testing agency in your state or country. But what is taught in this course has nothing to do with getting a license; it focuses on how to legally transact real estate deals between buyers and sellers. This course is about investment analysis.
• Due to the sheer number of students, I am unfortunately unable to help you evaluate your personal investment deals in this course. This is about you learning how to do it on your own using the lessons and tools here. If you really want me to consult with you privately, my hourly rate is $350 per hour, with a minimum of 20 hours per request.
• This course does not cover any of the wide range of OTHER real estate topics that deserve their own courses, including but not limited to: contract negotiations, real estate law, real estate marketing, REITs, etc. I try to cover the most important concepts as they relate to evaluating investment opportunities.
Diego Ginzo, 5 stars
"Excelente. Son clarisimas las explicaciones y la conceptualizacion."
Larry Butler, 5 stars
“Like the Bacchanal Buffet in Las Vegas for real estate investing, there is a lot to devour, but each is deliciously made. I'm already feeling full, but I can't wait to go back for more platefuls. If you're hungry and have a refined palette with respect to real estate, look no further.”
What’s holding you back?
Are you afraid this course won’t work? I assure you that it will.
Are you afraid this course will work and you’ll actually have to start investing? I think that’s a pretty good problem to have.
Are you afraid it will take time and effort? It will. Real estate isn’t an easy business; if it were, everyone would do it. But if you put in the work, I promise you’ll see results.
Best of all, there is absolutely ZERO risk. Udemy gives you a 30-day money-back guarantee to ensure you get what you pay for.
So go ahead, sign up, and I'll see you inside!
Who this course is for:
- Newbie real estate investors
- Experienced commercial and/or residential real estate investors
- People that want to invest in House Flips, Rental Properties or Apartments
- Those that want to invest in commercial warehouses, parking lots, retail properties, etc...
- Great for private investors and investment teams
- Real Estate Agents Seeking Tools to Appeal to Investor Audience
- Those who want to make BANK with Airbnb
- MBA Students, iBankers, Financial Analysts
- Someone who wants an in depth and broad coverage of real estate investment analysis concepts and techniques
Update:Weekly Live office hours and chats with students on TikTok (@SymonHe)
Symon He is the author of the Rental Property Investing QuickStart Guide, Amazon best-seller Real Estate Investing QuickStart Guide, and the co-author of Airbnb for Dummies, all available now on Amazon and in bookstores throughout North America.
He is also co-founder of LearnBNB, a leading online educational destination for all things Airbnb hosting and short-term rentals. His works have been cited or featured on the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Forbes, CNBC, Entrepreneur, and SKIFT. Through his training and coaching programs, he has worked directly with thousands of aspiring Airbnb hosts to jumpstart their short term rental journeys. His training programs have been featured by prominent third-party partners, including a joint venture with RichDad.
As a licensed broker, Symon previously helped private real estate investors with their acquisitions and deal structuring. As an angel investor, he also advises and invests in early stage startups.
Previously, Symon worked in several corporate real estate and finance roles at large private and Fortune 80 companies, including at a private equity investment firm covering a wide range of commercial real estate acquisitions in the western USA.
Symon received dual degrees in Computer Engineering and Economics with Honors from UC Irvine and an MBA from Stanford University.