Real Estate Finance (For Beginners)
What you'll learn
- Obtain a comprehensive understanding of how to perform a professional financial analysis for real estate transactions (Buy, sell, lease, develop)
- Know and understand main real estate financial metrics (IRR, NPV, ROI, Cap Rate, etc.)
- Real Estate market analysis essentials
- Case studies
- Airbnb analysis, highest and best use, rent vs. buy, land valuation
- Have Microsoft Excel 2010 or newer
- No previous finance knowledge needed
- No previous real estate knowledge needed
- Upon completing the course, you will obtain a comprehensive understanding of how to perform a professional financial analysis for different types of real estate transactions (Buy, sell, lease, develop).
- You will know and understand the main real estate financial metrics (IRR, NPV, ROI, Cap Rate, etc).
- Chapter 8 "Apartment Valuation", is available for FREE.
- I created a course which balances theory and practice. Theory which I obtained from my two master degrees from Columbia University (NYC, USA), one Master in Advanced Architectural Design, the other Master in Real Estate Development, and while working at world renowned companies like Hines and Hewlett Packard.
- All course examples come from real deals I have made over my 17 years of experience in the real estate industry, managing about USD $ 650 million.
- Multiple downloadable attachments are provided in the forms of: Excel files, checklists, relevant web site links, global market and public companies reports, as well as case studies, for you to use for your own analysis.
- No previous knowledge of either finance or real estate is needed to take the course.
- Even experienced real estate professionals will find several chapters useful and refreshing. I have taught people with 25 years of experience in the real estate industry, including graduate level teachers, who still found most of the material completely new, useful and eye-opening.
- Although the course main focus is real estate finance, there is complementary information including land parameters, construction costs, project and broker profitability as well as market analysis information. This material is included because a financial analysis is only as strong as the information you input into it, so it is extremely important to understand the basic parameters of all the information that goes into a Pro forma to end up with a professional financial analysis.
- it does not matter where in the world you live in, all course information, material and methodologies can be applied to any country or region. Pro formas even have the flexibility of using two measuring systems (Square feet and Square meters) as well as two currencies of your choice, at the same time or individually.
-This course is the result of thousands of hours of analysis, combining world class theory, 17 years of real estate experience, half of which I worked and learned from the corporate world, the other half I learned “On the street”, by being an entrepreneur and doing deals from scratch.
- Course index:
1 - Course introduction and instructions
2 - Importance of knowing your numbers
3 - Land
4 - Market Analysis - Essential elements, Market Cycles
5 - Market Analysis - Forecast
6 - Development Costs
7 - Property Valuations
8 - Apartment Valuation (Available for FREE)
9 - House Valuation
10 - What is a Pro forma
11 - Comparative Chart IRR, ROI and Capitalization Rate
12 - Simplified Pro forma
13 - Pro forma Checklist
14 - Financial Definitions
15 - Multi-family development - Pro forma - With Sensitivity
16 - Airbnb Analysis
17 - Land valuation - Multiple Scenarios
18 - Highest and best use - Mixed Use - (Hotel, Office and Retail)
19 - Case Study - Single-Family Development
20 - Case Study - Retail Development
21 - Case Study - Industrial Development
22 - Project Profitability
23 - Broker Profitability
24 - Rent vs Buy Analysis
- Due to the amount of student, I am not able to respond to each one of your questions regarding your personal real estate deals. In case you are interested I can offer you my consulting services for USD $ 500 per hour, with a minimum of five hours.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in getting involved in the real estate industry (Residential or commercial)
- People with several years of experience in real estate
- Real estate brokers, lawyers, architects, builders, financial analysts, developers, etc.
- Someone interested in obtaining a broader understanding of real estate finance
- Those interested in investing in Airbnb
1. Versión español
2. English versión
1. Versión español
Dos maestrías por Columbia University (NY, EUA):
-Diseño arquitectónico avanzado.
18 años de experiencia en el sector inmobiliario.
7 años impartiendo clases, incluyendo algunas de las mejores universidades en México (Iberoamericana, Anáhuac).
Dado cursos y conferencias para miles de personas.
Experiencia en gerencia de proyectos, estudios de mercado, análisis financiero (Excel), valuación de inmuebles, consultoría, comercialización, corretaje, planes de negocio, impartir cursos, levantamiento de capital, diseño arquitectónico y desarrollo inmobiliario.
Involucrado en la mayoría de los sectores inmobiliarios: residencial, oficina, comercio, industrial y nichos de mercado como vivienda para estudiantes, data centers y fondeo colectivo.
Mitad de mi experiencia laboral ha sido como emprendedor, lo cual me ha ayudado a entender todos los aspectos de iniciar un negocio, como el uso de recursos de manera eficiente, operación y expansión, comercialización, interacción productiva con personas internas y externas a la compañía, pero sobre todo, desarrollar resiliencia, empatía y sumar valor al resolver problemas para los demás.
La otra mitad de mi experiencia profesional ha sido trabajando en empresas globales como Hewlett Packard y Hines, donde aprendí, entre otras cosas, los beneficios de tener estructuras corporativas eficientes, lo cual permite a proyectos de gran escala, operar al máximo rendimiento.
Español nativo, inglés fluido, francés medio.
Trabajado/estudiado en México, Nueva York, Beijing, Milán y París.
2. English versión
Two Master’s degrees from Columbia University (NYC, USA):
-Real Estate Development.
-Advanced Architectural Design
18 years of experience in the real estate industry.
7 years teaching, including some of best universities in Mexico.
Given courses and conferences for thousands of people.
Background in project management, financial (Excel) and market analysis, appraisals, consulting, marketing, brokerage, business plan development, teaching courses, capital raising, architecture and real estate development.
Have been involved in most real estate sectors: residential, office, retail, industrial, student housing, data centers and crowdfunding.
Half of my professional experience has been as an entrepreneur, which has helped me learn all aspects of starting a business, managing capital, operating and growing the business, use resources efficiently, but most of all, be a team player, build character and resilience.
The other half of my professional experience has been working at global companies like Hines and Hewlett Packard, where I have learned the benefits of efficient corporate structures, which enable complex real estate projects to operate at peak performance.
Native Spanish speaker, with fluency in English and medium level of French.
Worked / lived in New York City, Mexico City, Beijing, Milan and Paris.